Monday, October 7, 2013

A Fruitastic Lunch!!

This weekend past weekend was crazy!! I literally spent all weekend buried in homework and somehow it seems like I still have so much to do. There really does need to be more hours in a day, or at least a remote so I can pause the world around me and get some stuff then resume and relax. If only!! 

This is the kind of cottage cheese I use. Different brands
have different nutritional values and serving sizes,
 so be sure to read the nutritional label.
I really did not feel like cooking anything for lunch on Sunday, so I did what any good college kid would do, I improvised. I used what I already had in my kitchen and actually lunch ended up being simple but still totally delicious!! I used 1/2 a cup of Meijer brand low fat small curd cottage cheese, six Ritz Whole Wheat Crackers, one peach, 1/2 a banana, 1 Tablespoon of PB2, and 1/3 cup of strawberries. I definitely got my fruit quota in for the day!!

Ever since I was a kid I have always loved cottage cheese and crackers. I can't just eat the cottage cheese by itself though, I have to scoop cottage cheese onto the cracker and eat it together. Weird, maybe but so good!! 

See I wasn't kidding!! I promise it is really yummy!!
I also cut up 1/2 a banana into small round slices. I mixed together 1 TBS. of PB2 and 1 TBS. of water and once I had the peanut butter I put it onto my banana slices. Banana and PB2 is hands down my favorite food. Banana and peanut butter may sound like a strange combination but don't knock it till you try it!! For those of you wondering what PB2 is, it's powdered peanut butter which has 85% less fat calories than regular peanut butter but tastes identical to traditional peanut butter. 

Writing this up is making me hungry for more fruit!!
To finish up my fruity lunch I had 1/3 cup of strawberries cut up and 1 medium peach cut into slices. This lunch was easy to make, plus it was packed with protein!! Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, and I got loads of vitamins and fiber from consuming all that fruit. Plus the natural sugar from fruit helped satisfy my need for something sweet without eating anything I might later regret. 

It was nothing fancy but it was a good meal packed with valuable nutrients my body needs to sustain itself, and prevent me from falling asleep in a boring textbook!! I hope you all have a fruitastic week and enjoy the beautiful fall colors!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment