Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Haters Gonna Hate

I think the internet is one of the best inventions, however, I also think it's one of the worst. There is a ton of really great resources for everything imaginable on the internet. On the other hand I think the internet is a breeding ground for bullies.

Let's face it. Bullies are really just cowards. The internet just gives them the upper hand. They can sit behind a screen all day and type awful things about you (and too you) that they'd never have the courage to say to your face. Internet bullies also get to enjoy anonymity. Most often people will never find out who the anonymous person leaving horrible comments is. Sadly there are internet bullies of all ages out there.

Recently I had someone leave some pretty awful comments on numerous pages on my blog. They commented on how I was not healthy at all, how I deprived myself of nutrients, and how I present an unrealistic image of health. Obviously I cleaned up and summed up what they said because most of it shouldn't be repeated, but their comments made me mad.

This person has no idea who I am. They don't know how my body functions, or what I need nutrient wise to sustain a healthy life. My nutrition needs are probably very different from your own, but that doesn't give you any right to tell me how wrong I am. I cook because I enjoy it, and I also bake because I enjoy it. I don't bake sweets for myself because sweets make me sick. Some of the things that I consider to be a treat may be normal food items for other people, but I can't have items with medium to high sugar contents or MSG because I get physically sick from them. 

Secondly, I don't deprive my body of nutrients. I don't write about every meal I eat, if I did that would be incredibly boring. However, I do make sure I eat a balanced diet every single day. Some days I do better than other, but that's life. No one is perfect, but I thank God every day for his grace- especially right now when I feel like saying some not so nice things. *Deep breath* 

Third, I create some healthy alternatives to some classic favorite foods. You don't have to like them, nor do you have to try them. I have fun experimenting and trying to create healthier versions of "bad" foods. HOWEVER, I don't think food is bad. I think excessive consumption of food is unhealthy and bad. Everything is ok in moderation, but most people don't eat in moderation. 

Some of the foods I make are low in calories, but high in protein. I not really a big fan of counting calories, but I do believe in keeping a food log. Writing down- or using an app- to keep track of what you ate and how much you ate is a great tool for weight loss, and also to maintain healthy habits. Visually seeing how much you consume in a day can be shocking and can shine a light on an issue (if there is one). While calorie counting isn't bad, it's a lot of work, which is why I think we all need to listen to our bodies more. Eat when your body says it's hungry, drink when you're thirsty, and go to bed when you're tired.

To directly address one comment that was made, I don't morally label food as bad. As I've said before everything is ok in moderation and there are foods I can't eat for health reasons. Also, I think most of us can agree most foods are over processed and there are too many chemicals added into foods these days. I care about what I put in my body and I want to avoid putting in harmful chemicals in it. I'm not here to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat, all I want to do is share my recipes, so if you don't like them then don't look at my blog!

To those who read my blog and those who have emailed me I appreciate your support. The body is a beautiful thing and food is fuel for your body, so why put anything but the best foods possible in it? 

As a final thought bullies are going to exist in every area of life (sadly). The important thing to remember about them though is that underneath the mean exterior they're scared, alone, and self-conscious. Being mean doesn't give you special powers, it just makes you a jerk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment