Tuesday, May 6, 2014
Mother's Day Gift Ideas
Mother's Day is right around the corner and if you're like me you wait until the last minute to figure out what you're going to get your mom. Then it's a mad rush to the nearest Hallmark to elbow through the picked over card section with all the other procrastinators who don't know what to get their mom.
This year I was bound and determined to not do that again, but what was I going to get my mom? At almost twenty macaroni necklaces, hand print t-shirts, and flowers planted in dixie cups don't really cut it anymore (sadly).
If you're like me and past the cutesy arts and crafts stage Mother's Day does not mean you have to dish out a bunch of money on gifts your mom may or may not like- nothing says I love you like wilted flowers picked up on Mother's Day at the grocery store in a mad rush to get to your Mom's house (just speculation of course, because that's never been me...)
DIY Mother's Day
1. Make a memory jar
-Get a mason jar and pretty scrapbooking paper and write down some of your favorite memories you have with your mom. Fold them up and put them in the jar. Decorate the outside of the jar with scrapbooking stickers or paint it to make it more personal.
2. Breakfast in bed then clean it up
-Make pancakes for one or for health conscious mom's make 3 ingredient blueberry banana pancakes or chocolate protein pancakes
3. A handwritten letter
4. A handwritten letter for every week of the year (that will definitely earn you brownie points!)
5. Mix cd with songs that were popular when she was growing up
6. Homemade body scrubs/salts- most recipes are really easy and require ingredients you already have at home
7. Custom return address labels- Shutterfly has an awesome selection and always has good deals
8. Clean and wash her car
9. Homemade coupons for car washes, nights off of cooking duty, unloading the dishwasher (or loading and unloading the dishwasher!), or a week off of doing laundry
10. Framed photo collage
11. Shadow box filled with photos and mementos from a favorite family vacation
12. Clean the house
13. Coffee mug decorated (then baked) with sharpie designs
14. Day/night out to the movies- popcorn or homemade snacks included
15. Batch of healthy homemade granola or chocolate cherry and nutella granola in a pretty jar
16. Pick up all the dog poop in the yard for a week
17. Plant flowers in her garden
18. Clean your room without grumbling
19. Video of all the kids telling why they love mom
20. Make dinner and clean up afterward
21. Basket of bunch of little things- granola, car wash coupons, coffee mug, etc.
22. Spend time with your Mom!
-It may sound lame, but sometimes the gift of time is the best gift of all
Posted by Rachael Miner