Thursday, July 17, 2014

Brain Fog Thursday

My brain is in a total fog today. I keep thinking today is Friday for some reason, maybe my brain is trying to tell me something....The past week has been a blur of doctor appointments, funerals and way too much running around. Today I was able to take a breather for a little bit, so I made the most of the time in the kitchen of course!

I have a lot of catching up to do for the blog. I have recipes from the past few days stock piled that I need to post including a delicious coconut bowl, banana flaxseed "granola," a firework salad and a meaty quinoa bowl. While I get cracking on writing those up I wanted to share an updated homemade granola recipe.

Recent health problems have greatly restricted my diet so I have not been able to have my favorite healthy homemade granola in months. Today I threw all caution to the wind and made a giant batch of it. I have no regrets. 


I mostly followed my previous healthy homemade granola recipe, but made a few changes. I will post the recipe with changes in case anyone is interested.

Healthy Homemade Granola:
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup organic honey or agave nectar
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil or safflower seed oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups organic (GF) old fashioned or steel cut oats
  • 3 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 3/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepitas 
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup reduced sugar dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
  • 1/8 cup slivered almonds
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil

In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients: oats, cinnamon, chia seeds, almonds, shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, pepitas, raisins, dried cranberries, tart cherries, slivered almonds and chocolate chips.

In a microwave safe mixing bowl combine peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and vanilla. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave for an additional 20 seconds and stir again.

Carefully dump melted peanut butter mix over dried ingredients. Using a flat spatula quickly and carefully toss dry ingredients to coat them in melted peanut butter mix.

Once all dry ingredients have been coated dump granola onto lined baking sheet. 

Using spatula or your hands flatten granola down to as thin as possible.

Bake for 17 minutes at 350. Check after time is up. Granola should be golden brown on top when done. If it's not bake for an additional 3 minutes and check again.

Allow granola to cool completely before breaking apart and storing. Store for up to three weeks in an airtight container. 



If you haven't already be sure to check out the delicious eggplant pizzas from featured blogger Samantha McClelland of Minor Numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment