Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Typical Maui Lunch

Food is expensive most places, but in Hawaii food is really expensive. Basic rule of thumb don't go to the grocery store unless you're prepared for some serious sticker shock. Like $9 for a gallon of milk shock...

Grocery shopping in Maui is expensive, but it is cheaper than eating out all the time. Besides, I enjoy cooking and being able to prepare food how I wanted it. Having been grocery shopping in Hawaii many times before my jaw doesn't drop as much at the prices. I packed a lot of food in my carry on and some in a checked bag that my family had (I talk about traveling gluten free here).

With all that I packed I stuck to getting the basics at the grocery store: almond milk, gf bread, kale/romaine lettuce blend, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, creamy and crunchy peanut butter (I needed some variety!), bananas, pineapple, apples, blueberries, frozen strawberries, fresh strawberries, gf oats and gf rice cakes. 


I loved eating lunch out on the lanai because I would watch for whales. Maui has the BEST avocados EVER. They are so fresh and amazing, I would move just for the avocados (not even kidding). I stuck to the usual suspects for lunch. A gf sandwich thin, one has peanut butter and banana and the other has smashed avocado, tomato slices and a hard boiled egg.


Another favorite I found while I was there was Dannon Light and Fit salted caramel greek yogurt! I have seen it all over instagram and wanted to try it and it is definitely delicious! I liked having one of these yogurt cups or a refresher smoothie for a snack after the pool or beach because I was always hungry when I came back. All of the swimming and running around in the waves and even just laying in the sun trying (and failing) to get my tan on (haha, just kidding I had on like SPF 100) made me hungry, gotta feed the muscles to make them grow!

More Maui posts to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment