Thursday, April 2, 2015

Healthy Makeover: Boston Market Cinnamon Apples


One of my favorite treats when I was younger used to be cinnamon apples. Something about the pairing of cinnamon and warm apples is so good! It brings back a lot of really good family memories.

I used to love Boston Market's cinnamon apples, but holy cow they are LOADED with sugar. One 6 oz. serving contains 250 calories, 55 grams of carbs and 49 grams of sugar! No thank you, just thinking about all that sugar makes my stomach hurt. 

Last week I was craving something sweet, which is odd for me. I don't keep sugary "treats" in the apartment because I don't eat or like them (they make me sick), but I thought of cinnamon apples. I decided to recreate cinnamon apples. OH MY GOODNESS my taste buds did a happy dance! It was just as good as I remembered and WAY healthier! Best of all it takes less then 5 minutes to make!

Healthy Cinnamon Apples
  • 1/2 medium granny smith apple
  •  1 teaspoon smart balance buttery spread light with flaxseed oil
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon, more or less to taste

Cut up the granny smith apple. You can cut it into chunks or slices, either way works.

Place apple chunks in a microwave safe bowl and scoop the butter into on top of the apples.

Microwave for 2 minutes.

Carefully remove the bowl, it will be hot. Stir the apples so they are all coated in the melted butter.

Add in 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, be the judge of how cinnamony (I totally made up that word) you want your apples, and stir everything together.

Microwave for an additional 1.5-2 minutes. The apples should be tender when you prod them with a fork. 

Allow the apples to cool for a minute, so you don't get burned, before devouring! 

You can eat a little over four servings of my cinnamon apples and still be no where close to consuming as much sugar as Boston Market's cinnamon apples.

MACROS: 12C/2F/0P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 1.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 60
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2 g3 %
Saturated Fat 0 g2 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 30 mg1 %
Potassium 90 mg3 %
Total Carbohydrate 12 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g12 %
Sugars 8 g
Protein 0 g0 %
Vitamin A4 %
Vitamin C4 %
Calcium2 %
Iron2 %

No comments:

Post a Comment