Monday, September 21, 2015

Meal Prep: Pan Seared Lemon Tempeh


Happy Monday! I suppose it's definitely fall now, but the weather has made it feel much more like summer than fall. I for one am NOT complaining as some of summer was too cold and rainy for my liking. Besides, I know snow is eventually coming and I am NOT looking forward to that. 

This weekend was packed with homework. Tons of reading, writing 3 papers, and writing/editing a news story. If anyone wants to volunteer to do some homework let me know :) I haven't been in the kitchen a ton because I've been so busy with school and what I have been whipping up has been rather basic. I took a few minutes out and cooked up some lemon tempeh. 


Tempeh is a vegan source of protein. It's great because it's very plain so you can use any spices and seasonings you desire and it will take on that flavor. I use 3 types of lemon because you can never go wrong with lemon!

Lemon Tempeh
  • 1 package tempeh (make sure it's gluten free) 
  • 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
  • 2 teaspoons Spice Islands lemon peel seasoning 
  • 1 teaspoon Weber zesty lemon seasoning
  • pinch garlic salt

Spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium.

Cut the tempeh out of the package, cut it into proper serving sizes (about 3.1oz I used a kitchen scale to measure), and place it on a plate.

Take the freshly squeeze lemon juice and pour it over the tempeh. Make sure lemon juice gets on both sides of the tempeh. 
*TIP: If you want the tempeh to be extra lemony juice 2-3 lemons and place the juice and tempeh in a ziploc bag in the fridge overnight. The tempeh will absorb the flavor.

Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of Spice Islands lemon peel seasoning to each side of the tempeh. 

Then, sprinkle the Weber zesty lemon seasoning and the garlic salt on the tempeh. 

Place the tempeh in the skillet and cook each side until golden brown. Repeat with each piece of tempeh. 

I like to eat the lemon tempeh by itself or in a salad. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Tempeh easily heats up in the microwave.

Nutrition per serving (serves 3):
MACROS: 10C/4F/13P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 3.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 121
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4 g6 %
Saturated Fat 1 g4 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 97 mg4 %
Potassium 253 mg7 %
Total Carbohydrate 10 g3 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g24 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 13 g27 %
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C12 %
Calcium5 %
Iron8 %

No comments:

Post a Comment