Thursday, April 28, 2016

Baked Oatmeal 101


I get asked a lot how I make baked oatmeal and it's really not as complicated as people think it is. When I first wanted to try baked oatmeal I found a recipe on a blog, followed the directions to a 'T' and it was horrible. The oatmeal was dry as a bone, hard, and not pleasant. I was disappointed, but decided to come up with something on my own. It took a number of times before I got it just right, but now it is my go to breakfast (have you seen my instagram?!)

You only need a few basic ingredients and whatever fruit your heart desires. Some of my favorite fruits to use are pears, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I can't wait for peaches to be in season so I can start using those! 

Here's what you need:

  • 1/2 cup gluten free oats, quick oats or old fashioned oats 
  • heaping 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon, more or less to taste
  • 3 Tablespoons liquid egg whites or 1 egg (yolk+white)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
  • OPTIONAL: 1/2 Tablespoon mini dairy free chocolate chips, mini Justin's PB cups, etc.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees and spray a ramekin with nonstick cook spray or coconut oil.

In ramekin combine oats, baking powder, and cinnamon.

When dry ingredients are mix together add in egg whites or egg, vanilla, and almond milk. Stir until well combined.

Top oat batter with fruit of choice. 

Bake at 350F degrees for 30-35 minutes, cook time varies depending on your oven. In my oven the oats are done in 35 minutes. The oats are done when there is no more liquid on top and the oats are a toasty brown. 

Remove ramekin from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before adding sprinkles  digging in :) 

If you make baked oatmeal (and you should!) take a picture, tag me on instagram, and use the hashtag #thesimplelife I'd love to see your creations! Don't forget to like my new Facebook page



No comments:

Post a Comment