Today I wanted to talk about refueling after a workout. It's a fitting topic because I just started BodyBuilding.com's still in it challenge. I'm excited about the challenge ahead, but let me tell you after today's leg day I thought I was going to have to be carried out of the gym. Granted, I did pair day one from the challenge with a Katiesfitscript workout, which was also leg day so double the pain. Plus for some dumb reason I felt like doing a workout yesterday, so what did I pick?! A BBG leg workout<- not advised the day before leg day.
Anywho, back to refueling after a workout. It's super important to refuel properly after a workout. You don't want to overeat because that will make all your hard work good for nothing, but you don't want to not eat. It's important to get a balance of protein and carbs after a workout. I workout super early in the morning (like 4AM) and by the time I leave the gym (around 6:30ish) I head home, clean up, and grab breakfast. Not everyone works out before breakfast, but regardless of when you do it's important to refuel. Nuts.com inspired me to share some high protein post workout favorites and I readily agreed. No, I am not being paid to share these, nor have I been compensated in anyway.
1. Chocolate Coconut Energy Balls. I'm obsessed with these because they're so good! I even got my mom hooked on them. It's a perfect on the go snack when you're driving back from the gym or even just out and about during the day. They're quick to make and easy to eat, which is always a good combo!
2. Berry Chocolate Oatmeal. This is one of my personal favorites! Because I do workout so early, often I come back from the gym and am starving<- lifting weights does that to you people! This oatmeal bake is packed with 27 grams of protein, packed with complex carbs, and I mean look at those toppings! You can leave some of the toppings off or add your own toppings, but either way you cannot go wrong with this delicious and filling protein bake.
3. These roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds are my mom's favorite. She munches on them all day long and she loves to throw them in her breakfast after she's worked out. Pumpkin seeds have 8 grams of protein per serving, plus they're packed with healthy fats, which makes them a great post workout snack.
4. Organic Cashews. Now these are my dad's favorite. He loves to munch on cashews as a snack and even my mom normally carries a small container of cashews with her while she's out incase she gets hungry. Cashews are a great source of healthy fat and contain 5 grams of protein per serving. While that isn't a ton of protein cashews really do help hold you over and these ones aren't salted so you get to enjoy pure cashewy goodness!
5. Chocolate chia energy balls. For only 57 calories these babies pack in 3 grams of protein and you can make them in 5 minutes. There's only 4 ingredients, which you throw in a food processor, you roll them and BAM you're done! Super easy and yummy! I always have a batch of these and chocolate coconut energy balls in the fridge ready to go. It only makes a small batch so you could eat the entire batch and not feel guilty ;)
If you want to check out more healthy snacks, high protein snacks, and some of my favorite snacks click the links and it will direct you to the right place! You can also check out the adorable infographic below to get even more post-workout snack ideas! What are some of your favorite ways to refuel after a workout?
*I was not paid or compensated to post links to Nuts.com. I have been a customer for years, which is why I agreed to share some of their snack ideas. All opinions are my own. Graphic provided by Nuts.com