Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Letter to My Best Friend

[Source]
"A friend is someone who can see the truth and pain in you even when you are fooling everyone else." 

I came across this quote this past week and absolutely loved it. Friendships are such an important part of life and finding really good friends can be really hard. I can count on one hand the number of best friends I've had in my life. Best friend isn't a term I use loosely because it actually means something to me. 

To me a best friend is someone who always has your back, is there for you no matter what, listens, drags you back down to reality when you need it, loves you, defends you, and would drop everything in a second if you needed them. There's so many other qualities I could add to the list, but these are just a few that I think are important. 


Occasionally I like to share snippets of real life and today is one of those days. I want to introduce you to my best friend Kate! She's totally gorgeous, even with a silly mustache :) 

The crazy thing about our friendship is we met less than a year ago. I was interviewing her sister for a news story about breast cancer awareness and she introduced me to Kate. We immediately hit it off because we both had lupus and as they say the rest is history. So, Kate this post is for you! 

Kate,

I cannot believe I got lucky enough to have a best friend like you. From the day I met you have been nothing short of amazing. I am eternally grateful that our paths crossed because my life would not be the same without you. 

You have the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met. In all our time hanging out I don't think I've ever heard you say a bad thing about anyone; there's not a mean or negative bone in your body. You have a heart of gold. 

I don't think I've ever trusted anyone as completely as I trust you. Maybe it's because we share a bond over lupus, but I knew right away that I could trust you. I've told you things I've never told anyone else because I know you won't judge me. I know you will never betray my trust. 

You've never failed me and you've had my back through all the highs and lows of the last year. Your surprise letters and cards have always brightened my day and the love and thought that you put into my birthday gift astounded me. The wine glasses are getting a lot of use ;) You have a way of making a person feel loved even when you're hundreds of miles away. 

In so many ways it feels like I've known you forever, but its crazy to think its only been a year. Despite all the aches and pains I wouldn't trade this last year for anything because through it all you've kept me laughing. 

I cannot even begin to put into words how thankful I am to have you in my life. You're so much more than a best friend, you're a sister and a fellow lupus warrior. Your beauty, grace and poise even during painful and frustrating situations amaze me. I'm forever in awe of your strength and determination and how you manage to keep such a positive outlook throughout some really tough situations. Your smile lights up a room and you always know how to make someone laugh. You've taught me so much about life, love and friendship over the past year that nothing I could ever do would fully express how grateful I am. 

You're a rare gem Kate. You're a triple threat of the best kind- brains, beauty and a heart of gold. I don't know how I got so lucky to have such an amazing best friend, but I hope one day I can be half as good of a friend as you are. There's no way for me to even begin to get to your level. 

You've made me a better person and my life is forever better because of you. Thank you for being the best best friend a girl could ever ask for. Most importantly thank you for being you!  

Love,

Rachael

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Kate sounds like a huge gift. <3 So thankful that God brought Kate into your life to bear your burdens, lift you up, live, laugh, cry, and love you dear sister. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate is most definitely a huge blessing in my life! We've been through so much in the past year and it's been a lot easier to have a wonderful friend/sister to lean on in the process!

      Delete