Thursday, August 31, 2017

Apartment Shopping & Goodbyes: Thinking Out Loud #52

Happy Thursday! Once again the week has flown by, but I am more than ready for the long holiday weekend. My days have been spent going through old things, getting rid of stuff, and packing stuff up to get ready to move, but more on that later. The sun is finally back out and I can't wait to soak up some sun this weekend. Let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud!


1. I haven't made any sort of announcement until now, but I am officially moving! A few weeks ago I travelled to Nebraska to check out a work opportunity. Long story short all the details ended up falling into place so I accepted the position and will be moving in mid September. I'm excited to start a new chapter of my life, but also sad to be moving away from friends, family, and my boyfriend. Probably the worst part about making the move is Cora can't come with me. My work hours are going to be all over the place and I won't be working from home anymore, so she is going to stay with my parents. I'm totally devastated I have to leave her behind, but I know they will take good care of her and I will be Facetiming regularly to see her. I'm excited for a new start and to see where this career path will take me. If anyone has moving tips, apartment shopping tips, or how to stay sane when moving halfway across the country please comment and let me know👇


2. Goodbyes are really stinking hard. One of my best friends was back in town for a quick appointment so I stopped by and saw her for a few hours last night. We've been friends since freshman year of high school and have been through so much together. We were diagnosed with lupus three days apart, we've been to London and Paris together, we went to the same college, sat through chemo sessions, and gone through so many ups and downs together. She is beyond a doubt one of the most amazing friends I have and my life would be dramatically different without her. Saying goodbye to her and her parents was so hard. Her parents have been a second set of parents to me and they've been so supportive of me over the years. They all hold a special place in my heart and I will definitely be visiting them when I come back home on vacation.


3. I have never bought furniture before now, so it's been a new experience. My boyfriend came with me to be supportive and we actually had a ton of fun testing out all the couches, chairs, and mattresses. I was pretty surprised by the lack of regard I was treated with. We were in the store for over 45 minutes before an employee approached us. The one who did approach was so incredibly kind, that I got her card and when I returned the next day to purchase the furniture I made sure she got the sale. In my eyes a customer is a customer and while all those other sales people disregarded me because I looked young the woman who helped me got one heck of a commission because I was buying furniture for an entire apartment. I ended up choosing this couch, but in a light gray, it has recliners so I'm pretty excited about that.


4. My appetite has been making itself known over this past week. I'm not sure if it's because I've been so busy moving or the change in medication has actually allowed me to have an appetite again. Either way, I've been packing snacks so I won't be hangry when I'm out apartment shopping. I tried BHU Fit protein bars for the first time and they're so good! It was perfectly chocolatey without being too sweet and it was paleo and allergy friendly. The protein came from egg whites instead of soy or pea protein which I was very happy about. I found them at the Vitamin Shoppe and I definitely recommend trying them out.


5. I am itching to run. The mornings have been slightly cooler and would be absolutely perfect for running. I'm obeying doctors orders and not running, but I definitely miss it. I've been walking and cycling a ton in addition to lifting just to keep myself busy. The doctor really didn't want me using the elliptical because it can still be hard on my tibia. I'm not so patiently waiting for it to heal and living vicariously through all my runner friends and my boyfriend who are enjoying this perfect running weather. I am counting my blessings it's not a stress fracture, but I'm more than ready for everything to be healed.


6. The mornings have been really foggy recently. As the sunrise gets later and later I almost miss is since I leave the gym around 6:45am. The past couple mornings fog has completely engulfed the area but it looks so pretty when the sun starts to rise. There's definitely a taste of fall in the air.

[source]
7. My heart is utterly broken as I look at all the images pouring out of Texas in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. I have a lot of family members who live in Houston so the impact hits close to home. There really are not any words that can heal the devastation the hurricane left. Towns are utterly decimated and the water continues to rise in Houston. I believe it is our duty as fellow Americans to help those in need. Even if we don't have much to give there are ways you can help victims of Harvey. NPR (national public radio) gave a list of all the organization accepting donations of everything from cash, to clothing, to toiletries to distribute to those displaced by the storm. Here is a link to the list of all the organization accepting donations.


8. This quote I found fitting for this week. Despite all the devastation the hurricane left in Texas, there have been so many stories of hope coming out of the wreckage. I was in tears looking at the cars lined along the freeway bringing boats and waverunners into the Houston area to rescue people. That is what America is about- people lending a hand in the darkest of hours and supporting each other through the storm. Light shines brightest in darkness and the volunteers and first responders have demonstrated that this week.

Have a great day and a fantastic holiday weekend everyone🎉🎉🎉

What are your plans for the holiday weekend?
Have you ever moved to a totally new place? What helped you adjust and get familiar with the area? 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE foggy mornings; we rarely get those here in Colorado, but when we were in Nebraska for several years in August (for a family camp) the mornings were always a bit foggy.

    And congratulations on the job Rachael! What a wonderful gift from the Lord; I'm sad you have to leave Cora, but I'm thankful she has a good place to stay while you're gone.

    I've never had to furnish a place of my own; so I bet that's a huge job!

    ReplyDelete