Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Homemade Granola Bars


It's officially halfway through the work week, which means only a few days until the weekend🎉 I thought it would be fitting to share a snack recipe because I am toting tons of snacks today as I sit in the airport. 

I bring all my own snacks to the airport because it's so much easier to know what's in my food, I can feel better about what I'm eating (most airport food is total junk), and I'm saving tons of money. When I was younger I used to eat granola bars all the time, but my current self would like to go back and change that because store bought granola bars are loaded with sugar and some not so great ingredients.

Recently, I've been making granola bars for my boyfriend to take to work for a mid-morning snack. He wanted a snack that would help hold him over until lunch and cheez-its weren't doing it (no surprise there). I suggested granola bars because oats are complex carbohydrates, which take longer for your body to break down, chia seeds expand in water and are packed with awesome nutritional benefits and also help keep you full, and he's a peanut butter lover so it's a win for all sides. These are a healthier take on a childhood staple that is both better for your wallet and for you! 

Homemade Granola Bars
  • 2 cups gluten free quick or old fashioned oats
  • 3 Tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup nut butter of choice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • OPTIONAL: chocolate chips
  • OPTIONAL: pinch of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a 8x8 pan with tinfoil and spray with nonstick cookspray. 

In a medium mixing bowl combine oats, flax seed, chia seeds, and cinnamon. 

In a separate mixing bowl add nut butter and honey. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir until nut butter is mostly melted. Mix nut butter and honey until fully combined.  

Pour nut butter/honey combo over dry ingredients and use a spatula to combine. Stir until dry ingredients are all coated with mixture. 

Take "batter" and press into lined pan until it's an even layer covering the bottom of the pan. If using, gently press chocolate chips onto top of batter.

Bake at 350F degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely before cutting. You should get 12 medium granola bars or 8 large granola square depending on how you cut them. 

Enjoy and if you make them take a picture, tag me on instagram, and use the hashtag #thesimplelife so I can see your creations😋

No comments:

Post a Comment