Thursday, September 28, 2017

Nebraska Life: Thinking Out Loud #56

Happy Thursday! It's my first official thinking out loud from Nebraska and I am very excited. My family, and even myself to a small extent, thought I'd have a difficult time adjusting to Nebraska life but honestly I love it out here so far. People are so friendly, the town is set up in a grid which makes everything easier to find, and it's actually really pretty out here. Granted, I've only been out here a week so far so I'm hoping my opinion won't change. Ask me in the spring once I've lived through a winter out here and we'll see if my opinion has changed😉 Anyway, let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud.


1. The first thing I noticed when I moved in was that there was a TON of butterflies. There are butterflies in Michigan, but they are everywhere here. It's so cool to see them flying around all the time. When I was walking into the hardware store this guy was relaxing on a flower so of course I had to take a picture. 


2. One of the fun parts about moving is stocking up my fridge. I stopped at a Fresh Thyme in town to load up on some pantry staples like spices, safflower oil and then some produce. I've been eating crazy amounts of fruits and veggies recently. Moving is hard work and my appetite has been insatiable! 


3. I finally unpacked the coffee cup my best friend gave me as part of my birthday present. Even though I don't drink coffee I use it for just about everything else. Plus, how can I not want to use it when it's this cute?! Thank you Kate😘


4. One of the parts I have not enjoyed about moving is all the furniture assembly. I'm proud that I assembled everything myself, but after assembling two end tables, coffee table, TV stand, desk, bed, and various other things I don't want to assemble anything again for a long time. Let alone the desk didn't come with parts labeled and the directions didn't have any words. That was a fun time trying to assemble it...not.


5. Decorating has been the part I've enjoyed the most. To me it's the fun part about moving, plus it allows me to make the space my own. I love having pictures of my friends and family around me and finding fun wall art to display. I found this picture at HomeGoods and laughed right away. I definitely say I've never seen a llama-corn or even heard of one before🙆


6. On the not so fun side of things I had my first trip to urgent care in Nebraska. I was cutting a peach when the knife slipped and sliced my thumb open. Blood started spraying everywhere so I quickly wrapped it in paper towel and held it above my heart hoping to slow the bleeding. I'm normally pretty good with blood, but there was so much blood I started to feel like I was going to pass out. After more than 40 minutes of it not slowing down I finally dragged myself to urgent care. Thankfully they took me back right away since I was still bleeding. The doctor didn't want to give me stitches because it's at such a tender spot, plus it's a really high risk of infection there so I got it glued instead. Everyone there was so nice and I'm thankful they took such good care of me. Needless to say, I will not be using knives again anytime soon.


7. Per usual I had to end with a quote. While I am loving my new life in NE I definitely miss living on the lake and am craving a trip to the ocean. Hopefully within the next year I'll be able to make it back to the ocean🤞 standing by the ocean really does make me feel so small and all my problems insignificant. I'm always filled with such a sense of peace when I'm by the ocean🌊

Have a terrific Thursday and a great weekend everyone🎉🎉🎉

If you've moved, what's been your favorite part about starting over?

Where is one place that you always feel at peace?

2 comments:

  1. Every time we've moved, my favorite part is decorating and getting stuff into its place. Makes it feel like HOME. Sorry about your thumb!! Was it a new knife? Gah, that's the worst. Hope it heals well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to assemble all the furniture yourself; your 'can do' attitude is really encouraging to see; because I'm often (way too often) a can't do sort of gal. I need to be more like you; I hope your finger heals well; I'm thankful God knits our bodies back together so many times because I hurt myself a lot.

    ReplyDelete