Thursday, October 19, 2017

Work, Work, Work: Thinking Out Loud #59

I feel like that Rihanna song work, work, work because that's all I've done this week so far. My schedule got changed so now I have Thursday and Friday off instead of the weekend, but having worked just three days this week I've already got almost 40 hours in. I'm beyond dead😴 Don't get me wrong I love my job, but the whole work life balance is something I've yet to figure out and I'm not sure I'll ever figure out with my field. Anyway let's jump into this weeks (shortened version of) thinking out loud.


1. I've gotten a few questions about what I do- I'm a TV news reporter. My technical title is a multimedia journalist, which means I shoot, write, edit, and front my work. Essentially a jack of all trades and working as a one man band is a lot harder than it looks. While it's a lot of work, for very little pay (any future journalists out there be warned the pay stinks!), and a lot of long hours I love my job. I'm not a desk job person and this lets me get out into the community and share stories that genuinely matter to people.


2. However, make no mistake reporting is nowhere near as glamorous as people think. This week I spent time with the city engineer discussing new signage, roadside memorials, and things of that nature. We met outside city limits at an intersection which happened to be next to a farm. I came home smelling like a barnyard thanks to some cows. First thing I did was change clothes and take a shower. My newsroom colleagues had to put up with the barnyard smell for a bit after I got back🙊


3. Since my life has been nothing but work recently I have been living off of meal prep and crockpot meals. Most people go out to eat a lot, but since I pack my meals I save a lot of money. Sure meal prep takes some time, but honestly I don't mind. Eating out every day for lunch at roughly $10 a pop by the end of the week that's $50 (or more), which is a week of groceries for me- that includes all meals not just lunch. I'll share the recipe for this delicious turkey vegetable soup soon.


4. My favorite stories to cover involve animals or kids. Animals are obvious because who doesn't want to snuggle a cute puppy or kitten, but kids get so excited about being on camera and give the best, most candid answers. I did a story about it being fire safety week and a group of kindergartners went to a firehouse to learn about preventing fire. The kids were hilarious and I had a blast hanging out with them. 


5. This quote has hit home for me this week. I was sent out to cover a massive apartment complex fire where an entire building was lost and countless people lost everything. I was blown away by the attitudes of residents, most of them- having just lost everything- were incredibly upbeat. A lot of them said stuff happens in life and you can't dwell on the negative. It took me back because I don't know if I could be so positive if I was in their position. 

Have a terrific Thursday and a great weekend!

How do you maintain a positive mindset when hard times come along?
What kind of news stories do you like seeing the most and why?

1 comment:

  1. Wow you do have an amazing, difficult, and wonderful job. It sounds so wonderful to be able to get people on camera who have stories like those who were affected by that fire. I'm always blown away by people having so much hope after things like that happening; it reminds me that God often works amazing things out of tragedies.

    And I can imagine that there are definitely parts that aren't as glamorous, but I love that you still love your job and pour your heart into it.

    ReplyDelete