Saturday, December 30, 2017

Reflecting on 2017

Melinda Hope Photography
Beyond a doubt 2017 has been my best year yet. In a lot of ways 2017 was MY year. By that I mean I made myself a priority and I absolutely refuse to apologize for it. Before all the haters come out of the wood works to say I'm a selfish beyotch let me just say a few things.

It's not natural for me to put myself first. While I was away at college and my dad had to undergo chemo I made sure I drove home to be there for all of them. When my mom needed foot surgery and had to lay with her leg up for a week after, I came home to cook my dad dinner after he got home from work so he wouldn't have to try to take care of my mom and dinner (which if you know my dad his idea of cooking is scrambled eggs and burnt toast). I was raised to believe family comes first, so leaving after graduation while there was a lot going on in my family didn't feel like an option, so I worked from home for awhile.

I don't think there's ever a perfect time in life, so I just took the leap and went for it. 

I took a job halfway across the country because I wanted to. I put myself in situations that were outside my comfort zone and forced me to grow both personally and professionally. 

I ended up in a state I had never been to before and literally knew no one. 

Yet, I've never had more fun or felt so fulfilled.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine living in the middle of the midwest, but I have no doubt this is where I'm supposed to be right now. 

The people have embraced me and made me feel so welcome. There's an elderly couple at the gym who watches the news just to see me and always tells me what a good job I do.

When it rained in my apartment one of the news anchors opened her home to me and she had only known me a few weeks. 

I could go on and on, but really for me this place is home because of the people. The love and kindness I have been shown has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. 

I don't know if this is where I'll be five years down the line, but right now this is where I'm supposed to be. 

This is home. 

Life is all about change and beyond a doubt this has been a wild year full of change, but it's also been an absolute blast.

Every single day I get to meet amazing people and tell their stories. In some ways it blows my mind because I never thought this would be my life. 

I go to work every day and get to do something different. Yes, some days are incredibly long and the pay is terrible, but I also leave work and don't feel like it was work. I walk away happy, fulfilled and excited to go back and do it again. 

My dad always told me that he hoped I would find a job that I'd love so I'd never work a day in my life. Reporting is that job for me. Every day is an adventure and I hope that never changes.

In a lot of ways 2017 didn't turn out how I thought or planned, but it's been far better. It was a wild ride of a year, but I honestly couldn't be more thankful for the way it turned out. 

Thank you for following along on this crazy ride, I honestly can't believe y'all have stuck with me as long as you have. From the bottom of my heart thank you. Thank you for the endless love and support. Thank you for another great year, I wish I could hug every single one of you. Your comments and emails never fail to make my day. I love all of you and thank you for making me a part of your lifeπŸ’œ

Cheers to a great year and here's to an even better 2018πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

1 comment:

  1. That job where you can walk away and not even feel like it was ... 'work' but it was so fulfilling is truly a blessing; I know there will always be tough parts of a job, but I LOVE seeing how much you've embraced your job Rachael and how much you've grown and blossomed into a beautiful young woman more and more this year.

    ReplyDelete