Thursday, April 12, 2018

Reporting and Fires: Thinking Out Loud #84

Happy Thursday! It is gorgeous outside so I can't even complain that it has been a long work week. Sadly it's going to snow again over the weekend (will spring ever come and STAY?!), but for now I'm going to focus on the positive and enjoy this beautiful weather🌸Anyway, let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud!


1. I've gotten a lot of questions about what I do on a day to day basis at work and honestly I don't have a consistent day to day. Everyday is something different and that's what I love most about my job. Granted this is from over the weekend so we get to dress a little more casual, but I go to all sorts of events, fundraisers, cover breaking news like fires or police situations, etc. I get to meet amazing people all over the city and share their stories. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because I LOVE my job. 


2. Speaking of fires, I have covered multiple fires as a reporter. As a journalist you have to emotionally detach yourself from situations, which is hard but it's part of the job. I've never had a problem covering fires, I hate watching anyone's residence or business burn, but it's a dynamic breaking news situation. Never have I been more terrified to pull up to a fire as I was this week when I knew one of the firefighters. I watched flames pour out of the roof and my stomach just dropped because I knew he was inside. I had to pull myself out of it to do my job, but our first responders do not get the respect and pay they deserve. I could never run into a burning building, but firefighters do it without thinking twice. 


3. On a lighter note I've been getting back into practicing yoga. I've been so busy with work these past few months it's been hard to find time to do anything. Getting back into the swing of it feels amazing and my body has craved the gentle movement. It's a great way to unwind after work too. I'm still working on my headstand and I like knowing the wall is there in case I need it. It's a work in progress but that's half the fun of it. 


4. How cute is this pup?! His name is Hugh and he's a reading therapy dog. Kids can come to the library and read to Hugh to help improve their confidence and reading abilities. It's such a cute program that really does work. The kids love the dogs (who wouldn't?!) and Hugh was so adorable, he fell asleep while one of the little girls was reading to him💜


5. The past few days have been absolutely beautiful! It's been sunny, in the 70's and when it's that nice it's hard not to be in a great mood. I was sad I didn't have any live shots outside, but I won't even complain because today is going to be beautiful too and I'm definitely going outside to enjoy😎the sad part is winter weather is going to be back soon, which I've had more than enough of already. COME ON SPRING!


6. When I was in Hawaii last year I loved dragon fruit bowls, plus dragon fruit is really good for you. It's a great source of vitamin C and is packed with loads of other nutrients. I found it at the grocery store for cheap and couldn't resist. So far I've been throwing it in smoothie bowls, but if you have other ways of enjoying it comment and let me know!


7. I love this quote because for me I totally relate. Everyone thought I was crazy when I said I wanted to be a news reporter. It's a ridiculously competitive field that can be really brutal (people can be VERY mean), but to me the job is so rewarding. I love getting to share stories that matter and finding people help in their time of need is so rewarding. Looking back I'm so glad I kept fighting to pursue my dreams because I can't imagine doing anything else. 

Have a terrific Thursday and if it's nice by you too I hope you can get out and enjoy the weather🎉🎉🎉

What's your favorite way activity to do for yourself?

What is your dream job and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment