Monday, September 30, 2013

Fall in love with Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore!!

Happy Monday!! It's the last day of September before a new month begins and I was hoping it would actually begin to feel like fall, but of course the weather isn't cooperating and it's supposed to be almost 80 this whole week!! Figures, now that I'm back in school the weather decides to be nice. 

I wasn't about to let to the wacky weather deter me from using my crockpot!! Monday through Wednesday I am constantly on the go with classes and when I do finally get done with classes I am tired so I don't want to cook an elaborate meal. CROCKPOT TO THE RESCUE!! I've said it before and I shall say it again there really isn't anything better than coming back from a long day of classes and dinner is all ready to be served. Plus I get leftovers which is an added bonus-makes for easy meals on the go!! 


I found a new recipe for Chicken Cacciatore crockpot style and knew I had to try it out. I made a few alterations to the original recipe, which I found on Pintrest, to make it healthier. You will need:
  • 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces (you can do this after it has cooked too since the meat will literally fall apart in the crockpot)
  • 1 (14 oz) can of crushed tomatoes, go organic if you can there is no added sugar or sodium in the organic kinds, but be sure to check the ingredient listing too!!
  • 1 bell pepper of your choice, sliced (it can be green, red, yellow or orange, it doesn't matter)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup mushroom, sliced
  • 1/4 cup organic chicken broth (the original recipe called for red or white wine but chicken broth can be substituted and the flavor will not be affected)
  • 1 tbs. tomato paste (OPTIONAL, I did not include this in my recipe but you can include it if you desire)
  • 3/4 tsp. dried oregano (OPTIONAL, again I did not include this in my recipe)
  • 3/4 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt substitute 
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

Place all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. You will know it is done when all the vegetables are tender and the chicken should easily fall apart when prodded with a fork.

I let my chicken cacciatore cook on low for just over six hours and it was perfectly done. The vegetables were wonderfully tender, the meat easily fell apart, and all the flavors had combined together completely. The second I walked into my apartment from class my mouth started watering because it smelt so good!!

You can serve chicken cacciatore over noodles, but I prefer to serve it over 1 cup of spaghetti squash. Look at my post about Spaghetti Squash for full directions on how to cut and cook a spaghetti squash. 

To go along with my chicken cacciatore I cooked green beans, purchased from local farmers, and mixed in a pinch of garlic salt, and two tablespoons plus one teaspoon of slivered almonds, mix it all together and serve hot with chicken cacciatore!! 

The very first picture in this post is what my chicken cacciatore looked like served over spaghetti squash. This is by far my favorite recipe I have revamped and recreated and I cannot wait to enjoy all my delicious left overs!! I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment