Thursday, September 26, 2013

Healthy Crockpot Chicken Tacos

It would be nice if the weather decided to either be fall or summer. The whole temperature switching back and forth between freezing and sweltering is getting a little old. I couldn't wait to break out my crockpot that I had purchased of the summer and test out a bunch of healthy recipes! Finally one day that it was in the low sixties I broke out my crockpot to make chicken tacos.

Traditionally chicken tacos in the crockpot are loaded with sodium, high in fat and sodium, and generally just a health nightmare. I decided to clean up the recipe and make it healthy but I wanted to keep the delicious flavors that tacos are known for. 

For my healthy chicken tacos in the crackpot I put one jar of organic low sodium salsa, I prefer the Meijer brand its sodium content is far less than that of other brands. I poured 3/4 of the jar into the crockpot, next I put three organic free range chicken breasts into the crockpot on top of the salsa. The rest of the salsa I poured over top of the chicken breasts. Then I turned the crockpot on low for 6.5 hours, you can leave it in the crockpot for up to eight hours. When I came back from class dinner was ready and it made my entire apartment smell heavenly!! The chicken should literally fall apart when you poke it with a fork, if it does then you know the chicken is done. I shredded the chicken up to make it more like a taco. I decided to forgo the traditional "taco shell," instead I used a LA Tortilla Factory Smart and Delicious low carb high fiber tortilla. On the tortilla I used one cup or organic spinach and kale. Next I piled on between 4 and 4.5 ounces of chicken from the crockpot. Finally I sprinkled a little mozzarella cheese, literally a pinch of cheese, fold the wrap together, and voila the healthy chicken taco was ready to be devoured!! 

I cut up a peach to have as a side with my chicken taco. The bonus of this recipe is that is it simple with minimal work involved (seriously putting two ingredients in a crockpot could not be easier!), and I had enough leftovers for four more meals!! My crockpot is quickly becoming my new best friend in food prep!! I hope you enjoy my version of healthy chicken tacos and let me know how you enjoy healthy chicken tacos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment