Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Cake Batter Truffles


With only five days left before Christmas I am finally feeling better; It must be an early Christmas miracle! It would be great if another miracle could happen and somehow my Christmas shopping could get started and finished, wouldn't that be something?

Sunday I have a family Christmas party to go to and everyone signed up to bring a dish. Of course I signed up to bring dessert and I immediately knew I had test out a new truffle recipe I have been toying with. I know I am a health food blogger, but my biggest guilty pleasure is baking, which is weird because I don't eat sweets. Anyways, not everything I bake is exactly healthy.

These truffles are not complicated to make at all but you do need about an hour to make them. And if your first few look like poop it's ok mine did too! 

You will need:
  • 1 cup yellow cake mix
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons red and green sprinkles
  • 1/2 (1 stick) unsalted butter, partially melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4-5 tablespoons Milk of your choice
For the coating:
  • 16 ounces chocolate chips, which will be melted
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • Sprinkles

First, in a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar. To partially melt butter I heated it up on a plate in the microwave for thirty seconds. 


After butter and sugar are combined add in flour, cake mix, salt, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons of milk. Thoroughly mix together. If a dough consistency does not begin to form add one tablespoon of milk, stir again, and repeat adding milk if necessary. You do not want the dough to be too runny. 

Once the dough is formed add in the sprinkles and kneed them into the dough by hand. 

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Roll dough into 1/2 inch to 1 inch balls and place them on cookie sheet. Repeat until all dough is used up. Refrigerate the cake batter balls for 15-20 minutes, just enough to firm them up.

After 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator take out of fridge. In a microwave safe bowl combine 16 ounces of chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals.


Once the chocolate is completely melted use tongs or cake pop sticks to dip truffles into the chocolate. Or another method I used, once the chocolate had cooled a bit, was to scoop chocolate into my hand and roll the truffle around the chocolate giving it a nice coating. 

After the truffle is coated in chocolate place it back on the cookie sheet and top with sprinkles. Repeat the process for the remaining truffles. 

Refrigerate all truffles until you are ready to serve them. If you are going to place them in a container all the chocolate coating to harden in fridge for a few hours before placing in container. I was able to make 39 truffles in all.



No comments:

Post a Comment