Monday, December 9, 2013

Crockpot Cranberry Turkey Breast


Happy Crockpot Monday and as an added bonus it's finals week! An even better excuse to breakout the crockpot in my opinion. Frankly while I'm studying like a mad woman and attempting to remember every fact I learned over the semester, gotta love cumulative finals, I don't want to waste a ton of energy cooking. I combined two of my favorite foods, turkey and cranberry sauce, into a delicious and easy crockpot meal that is perfect Christmas season meal!

You will need:

  • 12 ounces of my mom's famous homemade cranberry sauce- cut the recipe in half
    • 12 ounces fresh, or frozen, cranberries
    • 1/4 cup maple syrup
    • 1/4 cup organic orange juice
    • OPTIONAL: 1 Tablespoon zest of orange- I did not include this for this recipe
    • *NOTE! I made the cranberry sauce the night before so it could cool of and thicken in the refrigerator 
  • 1 Butter Ball Turkey Breast, I got the White Meat only one
  • 1 Cup Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • OPTIONAL: 1 small sweet onion diced, it is delicious with and without

First, pour chicken broth into crockpot, add onion if including.

Cut open the turkey breast packaging. Discard the netting and gravy packet. Place turkey breast in crockpot.

Once turkey breast is in crockpot spoon chilled cranberry sauce onto turkey breast. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Be sure to check the turkey is fully cooked with a meat thermometer, approx. 170°F internally, before removing from crockpot and serving.

Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes. Cooked green beans or assorted veggies make a delicious side!

Nutrition per serving (serves 5):
Calories: 199
Carbs: 21
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 28 grams
Sodium: 84 mg
Sugars: 14 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment