Monday, December 2, 2013

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken



Happy Crockpot Monday! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and got to enjoy some down time. I loved being home and spending time with my family; I can't wait until finals are over and I get to move back home for Christmas Break. Before I get to move home I have to survive finals week, at least I can look forward too seeing my puppy!

This week I threw together a quick crockpot meal from ingredients I already had on hand. I'm trying to use up all my spare ingredients before I leave next week for a month for Christmas break. I made a very simple skinny crockpot teriyaki chicken from ingredients you have readily available in your kitchen. 

You will need:
  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 3 bell peppers, diced
  • 1 broccoli floret 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, you can omit this the chicken just won't be as sweet
  • 1/2 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 1 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
  • OPTIONAL: Serve over rice or spaghetti squash

First, put the chicken breasts in the crockpot. Then add in the vegetables on top of the chicken.

In a separate bowl combine chicken broth brown sugar, and teriyaki sauce. After mixing together pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the crockpot.

Finally, cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Serve over white or brown rice. For a gluten free alternative serve over cooked spaghetti squash. Click here to learn how to bake spaghetti squash

Nutrition per serving (serves 4):
Calories: 268, 220 without brown sugar
Carbs: 38
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 23 grams
Sodium: 693 mg
Sugar: 30 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment