Wednesday, December 11, 2013

How to Easily Seed A Pomegranate


Once the holiday season rolls around stores roll out a variety seasonal fruits and sweet treats. One of my favorite holiday fruits is the pomegranate. Pomegranates are sweet and delicious and they are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin K. However, for those who enjoy the fruit you probably know what a pain it is to seed a pomegranate! Normally I end up wearing more pomegranate juice than I end up consuming, and it is almost impossible to get those stains out of clothes! 

Recently I came across a list of ways to seed a pomegranate and thought I'd try a few. Lo and behold one of the methods actually worked! I knew I had to share because it really does make seeding a pomegranate a LOT easier.

First fill a sink with freezing cold water and add a tray of ice cubes into the water. There should be enough water that the pomegranate is totally underwater. Allow the pomegranate to soak in the freezing cold water for 15-20 minutes. The cold water loosens up the membranes making it easier to seed, so the longer you soak it in cold water the easier it will be.
After letting the pomegranate soak cut it into fourths. Over a bowl, to catch the seeds, lightly tap the skin of the pomegranate, the side without seeds, with a wooden or a solid spoon (I've heard a spatula works as well but I have not personally tried it). The seeds should fall out into the bowl. Repeat with the remaining sections of pomegranate until all the seeds are removed from the skin. 

Whala! You have officially seeded a pomegranate without making a gigantic mess. I hope this makes seeding easier for you and allows you to enjoy delicious and nutritious pomegranates more often this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment