Monday, February 24, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Lo Mein


Happy Crockpot Monday! I have been so excited to post this recipe because it is so delicious. Although I technically cheated because I made this yesterday, so it was technically crockpot Sunday. Regardless delicious food needs to be shared!

Chicken lo mein is definitely up there as one of my favorite foods, but I don't eat it that often. I had a hankering for it though so I decided to make it this weeks crockpot meal, and I must say I am glad I did! 

You will need:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 packet stir fry seasoning, can use 1/2 cup of low sodium teriyaki sauce instead
  • 1/2 small sweet onion diced
  • 1 cup diced vegetables of choice, I used red, yellow, and green bell peppers
  • 16 ounce frozen stir fry veggie mix, make sure there is no added artificial ingredients
  • 10 ounces lo mein noodles, most grocery stores keep them in the international aisle

Place chicken breasts in crockpot. You can cut up the chicken breasts before hand or shred them after they're cooked. I think it's easier to do after they're cooked.

Spread 1 cup of fresh, NOT frozen, veggies and sweet onion on top of chicken breasts. 

Pour packet of stir fry sauce on top of vegetables and chicken. Use a spoon and spread it around a little bit.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3 hours. 

One hour before serving add the frozen vegetables into crockpot. Again use a spoon and spread sauce around a bit.

Cover and allow to cook for another hour. You can also switch your crockpot to high and cook for 30 minutes. Check to make sure vegetables are tender.

Fifteen minutes before serving boil water and cook lo mein noodles. These do cook quickly so be sure to keep an eye on them. 

Once the noodles are done cooking drain any access water from them and uncover crockpot. Dump noodles into crockpot. Use a giant spoon to combine vegetables, chicken, and noodles also coating the noodles in sauce.

Serve and enjoy! 

Nutrition per serving (serves 6):
Calories: 224
Carbs: 21
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Sodium: 558mg
Sugar: 12 grams



No comments:

Post a Comment