Monday, February 17, 2014

Crockpot Ground Turkey for Healthy Taco Night


Happy Crockpot Monday! More snow is in the forecast and temperatures are still below freezing. I'm done with winter, but sadly it's not done with me. Anyway there are only two weeks left of classes before Spring Break and I am so excited! I can't wait to go home and snuggle with my puppy. It's been far too long since I've seen her.

Back to crockpot Monday. I had a hard time deciding what kind of recipe I wanted to do this week and then I started craving tacos. I've never had a "real" taco because I don't eat beef, but my mom always used to make them with refried beans when I was a kid. I wanted to try ground turkey this time around.

I was also feeling a little adventurous because I decided to forgo a wrap for a shell, I hate traditional taco shells, they taste like cardboard to me. So, I went with a lettuce wrap. Spinach wraps are also really good for a shell as well.

You will need:
  • 1 pound of ground turkey, I used Jennie-O Extra Lean
  • 1 cup water or organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup diced onion, more if you prefer
  • red, yellow, and green bell peppers, diced
  • salsa, I used Meijer Naturals
  • avocado
  • taco cheese
  • head of lettuce 
  • OPTIONAL: Packet of taco seasoning, go organic to avoid artificial ingredients

Put ground turkey in crockpot.

Spread diced onion over meat and pour water or chicken broth over onion and meat. If you're going to add taco seasoning pour seasoning over meat and mix in before covering and cooking.

Cover and cook on high for 3.5 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.

Cut up veggies before hand or after the meat is finished cooking. 

If you prefer you can sauté veggies before putting them into your taco. When you sauté them it will release their natural flavors and tastes so good in a the taco.

Scoop ground turkey, drain away excess liquid first, into lettuce wrap or taco shell and top with salsa, bell peppers, onion, avocado, and cheese. If you like sour cream on your tacos try plain Greek yogurt as a healthy alternative. 

Nutrition (per serving):
Calories: 229
Carbs: 2
Fat: 11 grams
Protein: 27 grams
Sodium: 129mg
Sugars: 2 grams




No comments:

Post a Comment