Monday, February 10, 2014

Crockpot Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken


Happy Crockpot Monday! Is the cold weather and snow ever going to go away? All this dreary weather just saps my energy, so thank goodness for a crockpot. 

The wind is howling outside, there is almost two feet of snow on the ground, I've done nothing but homework all day and I'm exhausted. No joke I'm in sweats and wrapped up in a snuggie because it's one of those kind of days. It really was a good day to breakout the crockpot.

Honey sesame chicken is so delicious, but often loaded with sugar and sodium. I sought out a way to reduce sodium but still maintain flavor. Believe me I spent a great deal of time researching different kinds of soy sauce to find the best one. I ended up using Meijer brand because it contained far less sodium than any others and it is gluten free. The chicken turned out delicious and it was nice to have a warm meal on such a cold day.

You will need:
  • 4 chicken breasts, I prefer thin sliced
  • 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey, can use agave and it will taste almost identical
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar 
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • pinch of pepper

Place chicken in crockpot and sprinkle pepper to taste.

In a bowl combine soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, tomato paste, sesame oil, and water. Mix together thoroughly and pour over chicken in crockpot.

Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. Do not exceed 5 hours or your chicken will burn. Switch crockpot to warm if you need to keep it warm for longer.


Before serving chicken sprinkle sesame seeds over chicken. Add more or less to taste.

I served my chicken over steamed broccoli with brown rice, but you can serve over any kind of rice or spaghetti squash for a gluten free option. Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator.

Nutrition (serves 4):
Calories: 194
Carbs: 13.5 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Sodium: 504 mg
Sugar: 10 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment