Monday, February 3, 2014

Lightened Up Crockpot Chicken Fajitas


Breakout the crockpot because it's crockpot Monday...or at least in my world it is. Nothing is better on a cold winter day than coming home to a delicious aroma in the air and dinner fully prepared.

The weekend was full of baking, homework, and Superbowl preparation so today was the perfect day to use the crockpot. I wanted to create a recipe that would able to please a whole family and make mom happy because it was healthy. Fajitas came to mind so I took on the challenge of creating fajitas that were still delicious, but healthier and lighter than traditional fajitas. The results were delicious!

You will need:
  • 1 pack of chicken breasts, I prefer thin sliced, cut into strips
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 avocado, cut into thin chunks
  • 1/3 cup organic low sodium chicken broth, or water
  • La Tortilla low carb high fiber tortillas
  • 1 cup, per tortilla, organic deep green power blend

Pour chicken broth into crockpot.

Place cut up chicken into crockpot. If you don't want to cut chicken into strips while it's raw you can shred it once it is fully cooked.

Add in minced garlic and any seasoning you'd like.

Wash bell peppers, tomatoes, and onion. 

Dice up all vegetables except avocado and throw them in crockpot on top of chicken. I only threw one diced tomato into crockpot. I saved the other diced tomato to add in as a topping.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.

Scoop chicken out and place on warmed tortilla with deep green blend, I just warmed my tortilla up in the microwave, but you can warm up tortillas in the oven too. 

Then scoop out vegetables, draining them of any excess liquid and place on top of chicken in tortilla.

Finally add any toppings of your choice to your fajita. I added fresh diced tomato and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Then I heated me entire plate up in microwave so the cheese would partially melt.

With my fajita I heated up leftover roasted asparagus. Yummy!

Store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.



Nutrition per serving (5 servings total):
Calories: 254
Carbs: 30
Fats: 4 grams
Protein: 37 grams
Sodium: 428mg
Sugar: 7 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment