Monday, April 14, 2014

Healthy Asian Peanut Chicken Salad


Maybe it's the ants in my pants or all the snot in my head (the joys of being sick), but I just did not feel like breaking out the crockpot today. GASP! I know it's crockpot Monday, but it wasn't in me today. I do still have a great recipe to share with you though!

Have you ever had an Asian salad with peanut sauce? Totally delicious, but the nutrition facts aren't quite so amazing. I had a hankering for an Asian salad, so I threw together my own peanut sauce. It still tastes amazing, I promise you won't be able to tell the difference, but it's way healthier. 

You will need:
  • 1/4 cup low sodium, gluten free soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/2 cup PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
  • pack of chicken breast tenderloins
  • vegetables of choice, I used 1 bell pepper and broccoli- snap peas, shredded carrots, and any kind of onion are really good in the mix too.
  • Optional: top with a heaping tablespoon of chopped peanuts

Spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray. Heat to a medium-high heat.

Sauté the chicken until it is thoroughly cooked through. Flip so chicken can evenly cook on both sides. When the juices run clear it is done. 

As the chicken is cooking in a bowl combine soy sauce, PB2, rice vinegar, honey, lime juice, and water. Stir until there are no chunks of PB2 remaining. 

Shred cooked chicken and set aside.

Turn the heat down to a low setting. In the same skillet, respray with cook spray so nothing will stick, sauté the veggies until lightly browned. 

Once the veggies are browned, add the chicken back in and pour in the peanut sauce. Use a spatula to gently toss around the vegetables and chicken making sure everything is coated with peanut sauce. 

After everything is coated remove from stovetop (be sure to turn the stovetop off!) serve over a blend of mixed greens. Or serve over quinoa, rice, or rice noodles. 

Nutrition per serving (not including what the recipe is served over):
Calories: 226
Carbs: 14
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 31 grams
Sodium: 556 mg
Sugar: 9 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment