Monday, November 17, 2014

Crockpot Skinny Butternut Squash Soup


I apologize for slacking on the blog recently. I have a ton of end of semester projects and have been busy working on those. Plus my parents visited me at school yesterday for my ODK induction ceremony, I have pictures and a post that I will share about that later, but first Happy Crockpot Monday!

Is there anything better than warming up with a pipping hot bowl of soup? I had never been a big soup fan before this year, but now I am all about soup! I have been loving creating delicious and healthy soups and my apartment always smells amazing. 

Lately my instagram has been flooded with pictures of butternut squash cooked in every way imaginable. I am a big butternut squash fan myself so I decided to try to make a really good, thick butternut squash soup that was basic and healthy. I experimented with different ingredients and landed on the perfect recipe that is thick, full of flavor and oh so healthy. The recipe even got my mom's stamp of approval- and trust me she is a big butternut squash soup lover!
  • Approximately 4 cups cubed butternut squash
  • 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 medium sweet onion (about 1 cup), diced
  • 2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
  • my secret ingredient-2 teaspoons cinnamon

I bought pre-cubed butternut squash, but you can buy a whole one and cut it if you prefer. Place cubed butternut squash in crockpot.

Diced up apple and onion and layer them on top of squash in crockpot. 

Finally pour chicken broth into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

When the vegetables are soft in the crockpot use an immersion blender or pour the vegetables into a blender in batches and blend until smooth, use the lowest setting so you don't shoot it everywhere. 

Place soup back in crockpot for a little bit to get it warm again. Serve and enjoy!

Keep leftovers in fridge, or freeze it. I froze leftovers and when I thawed some it was just as delicious as before, and not at all runny.

Nutrition per serving (make six 1 cup servings):
Calories:  71
Carbs: 14 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Sodium: 45 mg
Sugar: 4 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment