Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cashew Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry


Disclaimer: I had full intentions of making a crockpot meal this week. In fact, I had all the ingredients and everything ready, but I may have gotten a wee bit carried away this weekend cooking...

I had the recipe all planned out for this weeks crockpot meal, I had bought all the ingredients and was ready to get to work in the kitchen creating another yummy meal, but Saturday night I had planned to have stir fry. I haven't had stir fry in forever and it sounded so good. Originally I only planned to make enough for two to three meals, but somehow that turned into enough for six meals. I like lots of vegetables in my stir fry what can I say? 

I like Chinese food, but I much prefer to make my own at home for two reasons: 1. I like to add way more vegetables to dishes than what is typically in them and 2. I can control the amount of sodium in dishes. Chinese food is normally LOADED with sodium and I cannot stand food that is really salty. This stir fry is DELICIOUS and I think it's the best I've ever made!

And I have to take a moment to brag about the nutrition facts. It has 1/3 of the sodium that take out stir fry does, its much lower in carbs and fat and it has a fraction of the calories- I'm talking 263 calories for a single serving! There are no crazy ingredients and it doesn't taste "healthy" (my dad always says that). Forget take out, homemade is the way to go!

Cashew Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
  • 1 red, 1 orange and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 1 small broccoli crown, cut into small chunks
  • 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
  • 1 medium carrot (from bulk section), diced
  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 cup brown rice, cooked
  • 1/2 cup roasted and unsalted cashews
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
  • 6 tablespoons GF low sodium teriyaki sauce, divided
  • 2 teaspoons GF low sodium soy sauce

Spray a large skillet or a wok with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium heat. 

Place 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in skillet and allow it to warm. 

When oil is warm place cut up chicken in oil and allow it cook through. Make sure to flip chicken pieces so it will cook evenly. The chicken is done with the juices run clear. 

Transfer chicken to a plate and cover plate with tinfoil to keep chicken warm. 

*I prepared the brown rice while the chicken was cooking. You can use previously prepared brown rice or make it up simultaneous, but I recommend making it while the chicken cooks and setting aside.



Add the second tablespoon of sesame oil to pan, allow it to warm and then add in all the vegetables: bell pepper slices, broccoli, onion, snap peas, carrot and mushrooms. 

Continually stir the vegetables until they begin to lightly brown. Due to sheer volume of vegetables it will take awhile for vegetables to cook. 

When vegetables are beginning to brown add 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce to the pan.

Stir the vegetables to coat everything evenly with sauce, then reduce the heat of the burner to a lower setting. 


When the vegetables are evenly coated in sauce add the chicken and the prepared rice into the skillet. 

Stir everything together and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, stirring until everything is evenly coated. 


Add the cashews into the skillet and stir to distribute them throughout pan. 

Allow the chicken and rice to absorb the sauces flavor and be warmed up, so continually stir the vegetables. Keep the heat a lower setting to prevent anything from burning. 

Once the chicken is warmed remove from burner and serve! 

Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for later use. 

MACROS: 26C/11F/15P
Nutrition information (one serving= 1 cup):
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 263
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11 g17 %
Saturated Fat 2 g10 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22 mg7 %
Sodium 440 mg18 %
Potassium 532 mg15 %
Total Carbohydrate 26 g9 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g13 %
Sugars 10 g
Protein 15 g30 %
Vitamin A41 %
Vitamin C233 %
Calcium5 %
Iron10 %


No comments:

Post a Comment