Monday, January 5, 2015

Crockpot Turkey Chili


Happy Monday and welcome back to Crockpot Monday! It's the first Crockpot Monday of 2015, hard to believe I know. I am very excited to back crockpoting, especially now that is freezing cold and there is snow on the ground. I was more than happy with the warmer than normal and snowless December (is it June yet?). Sadly the winter semester started for me today, but at least I had a warm meal to come back to.

I have a confession to make- I have never had chili before. WHAT?!? Crazy I know. My dad is an insanely picky eater, so growing up my mom kept our meals very plain, thus I never had chili. Awhile back Sam from Love Live Balance posted an incredibly delicious looking crockpot turkey chili recipe. I tweaked a few things about the recipe and used less chili powder because I'm a chili newbie and didn't want to set my mouth on fire, but it's all about personal preference. It's safe to say after devouring a bowl of chili, which was perfect because it's FREEZING outside, I will most definitely be making chili again in the future!

Crockpot Turkey Chili 
  • 1.6 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 15 oz. organic dark red kidney beans
  • 15 oz. organic pinto beans
  • 15 oz. chili beans with sauce- I chose mild sauce
  • 6 oz. tomato paste
  • 3 oz. water- I filled the tomato paste can 1/2 way
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 6 tomatoes, cut into chunks
  • pinch of ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1.5 teaspoons chili powder- use more or less to your preference 

Place diced onion and ground turkey in the crockpot.

Drain and rinse the dark red kidney beans and pinto beans and add them into the crockpot.

Add in chili beans without draining them. 

Add in tomato paste, water, tomatoes and seasonings. 

Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours. Stir the chili before serving. 

Keep leftovers in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for later use. 

Nutrition Information (1 serving is 1 cup, makes about 9 servings):
Calories: 288
Carbs: 30 grams
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 9 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Sodium: 356 mg
Sugar: 5 grams



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I was actually just talking about making this again with my mom :)

      Delete
  2. Do I cook turkey before placing in crock pot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to cook the turkey before putting it in the crockpot! The crockpot does all the work for you :)

      Delete