Monday, February 16, 2015

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce


Happy Crockpot Monday once again! This freezing cold weather is way too cold for my liking, but it makes good crockpot weather. On the bright side of all this arctic weather is that once spring finally comes it will look like we all lost 40 pounds because we ditched all the layers! But really spring any time you want to show up would be great and the sooner the better!

I had a hankering for spaghetti last week so this week I made it in the crockpot. I know, I know crockpot spaghetti sounds weird and you'll probably think I am crazy by the end of this, but that is ok because it is yummy! I don't eat beef so I made it with ground chicken, you can definitely use ground beef or ground turkey, and since noodles are not an option I served it over spiralized zucchini noodles. For leftovers I cooked up spaghetti squash to have with it. 

This is not as thick as a traditional spaghetti sauce- I'm not a giant fan of super thick sauce. It's a super easy meal that is great for busy week nights and it's healthy! 

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
  • 1 lb ground chicken 
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 28 oz organic petite diced tomatoes
  • 6 oz organic no salt added tomato paste
  • 1.5 teaspoon minced garlic, or more to taste
  • 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
  • pepper to taste
  • dried basil to taste

Place all ingredients in the crockpot. It does not what order they go in or how you layer them.

Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

Stir everything in the crockpot very well before serving. Serve over noodles of choice- I served mine over zucchini noodles and topped it with parmesan cheese. 

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. 

Nutrition per serving (serves 6, 1 serving= 1 cup):
MACROS: 13C/6F/18P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 178
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6 g9 %
Saturated Fat 1 g7 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57 mg19 %
Sodium 216 mg9 %
Potassium 167 mg5 %
Total Carbohydrate 13 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g9 %
Sugars 4 g
Protein 18 g37 %
Vitamin A18 %
Vitamin C18 %
Calcium4 %
Iron12 %

No comments:

Post a Comment