Monday, March 23, 2015

Crockpot Taco Chicken Meat


How is it Monday already? Where does the weekend go?! In any case Happy Crockpot Monday! I apologize for slacking on the blog. It's that point in the semester where every class has papers, presentations and research projects due. I have been trying to stay on top of everything for school and work, plus I had to go home for a bunch of doctors appointments over the weekend.

Even though I was really busy with doctors appointments and a tower of homework I got my parents to go to a chronic pain yoga class Saturday morning. It has been awhile since I have done yoga, but I do enjoy it. This was very basic yoga, nothing intense, mostly just stretches and lots of breathing exercises. I am hoping to go to another class whenever I go home again.

Anyway enough about that on to crockpot Monday! I have done a few different crockpot tacos before, but practice makes perfect right? These tacos have a little kick to them and since it is just the meat in the crockpot you can make a traditional taco or taco salad with it.

Crockpot Taco Chicken Meat
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/3 sweet onion, diced
  • 14.5 oz organic diced tomatoes with green chilies 

Spread the onion on the bottom of the crockpot. 

Place the chicken breasts on top of the diced onion.

Sprinkle the seasonings and minced garlic over the chicken.

Dump the diced tomatoes with green chilies over everything in crockpot.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3.5 hours.

Using a fork shred the chicken- the chicken will just fall apart so this will be very easy. 

Once you have shredded the chicken cover the crockpot and allow it to soak up more of the tomato juice and spices for 20 minutes.

Serve tacos how you desire!

Nutrition Information (I did not measure out my servings so the nutrition information will differ depending on much meat you use for a taco):
Nutrition Facts
Servings 5.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 137
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 12 g18 %
Saturated Fat 0 g0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75 mg25 %
Sodium 373 mg16 %
Potassium 35 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 6 g2 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g4 %
Sugars 4 g
Protein 27 g54 %
Vitamin A15 %
Vitamin C13 %
Calcium3 %
Iron3 %


No comments:

Post a Comment