Friday, March 27, 2015

Maui Mornings: Proats and Post Workout Snacks

I am finally starting to get some of my Maui posts up. Trust me there is still a lot of posts to come, but school has been keeping me busy.

Mornings have always been my favorite time of day. I love the quiet and stillness of the early morning and I love watching the world come to life. There is something so peaceful in the stillness of the morning, but Maui mornings are a zillion times better. I loved sitting or laying in bed listening to the crashing waves. The ocean really is my cure for everything. I would listen to the ocean as I ate my breakfast. Normally I have a protein smoothie in the morning before heading to the gym, however I didn't want everyone around us to hate me for running a blender at 4 am, so I switched things up and had proats.



Proats is protein powder + (gf) oatmeal. I cooked the oats according to the directions, usually I added a tad more water than called for because I was adding in protein powder and no one wants dry oats, then stirred in the protein powder. 


I mixed things up with the toppings. Some mornings I had banana or strawberry slices (or both), sometimes I had peanut butter blob and sometimes I ate plain proats. Gotta keep life interesting right ;)

Luckily where we were staying had a pretty nice gym. There was all the usual cardio machines- ellipticals, treadmills, bikes, a stair stepper and even a rowing machine, but there was also a lot of free weights and weight machines. I stuck to my normal lifting routine, but I cut back the cardio. Between walking everywhere, taking hikes, walks on the beach, playing in the ocean and swimming I got plenty of cardio. 


I had packed two boxes of Quest bars so I had plenty of post workout snacks. I packed s'mores, cookies and cream, chocolate brownie, double chocolate chunk and chocolate chip cookie dough- it's safe to say the chocolate Quest bars are my favorites :)


I loved eating my post workout Quest bar on the lanai. Besides gazing at the gorgeous view (which I could do all day) I'd look for whales. I love how magical it is whale watching. Whales are such beautiful creatures and I find them fascinating. Watching whales jump and splash around never gets old. What I'd give to live there and wake up to that view every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment