Monday, March 30, 2015

Meal Prep: Turkey Veggie Meatloaf Muffins


What a glorious Monday morning it is! The sun is FINALLY out and I never thought I'd say this but 35 degrees feels pretty nice! I am going to take a little break from getting my Maui posts up to share a recipe. Monday's are normally Crockpot Monday, but I needed a break this week. So, instead this Monday is Meal Prep Monday! I still prepared a week of dinners, but I cooked instead of using the crockpot.

Before I get into the food I have a confession to make. I've never had meatloaf. To most that is probably not a big deal, but since my dad is such a picky eater I was kinda forced to live off chicken as a kid. Once I got to college and started cooking an entire world of foods opened up. I love trying new foods and I love using spices (another thing that was never used in my house). Trust me my mom did an awesome job with the limited selection of foods my dad would eat, but it's nice to be able to experiment on my own. 

This week I made a "meatloaf." I use the term loosely because this is a veggie meatloaf. It has zero of the stuff traditional meatloaf has- no ketchup, brown sugar, beef, etc. Plus I didn't make it in traditional loaf form. I opted for meatloaf "muffins" because they are easier grab and go. This is one meatloaf you can feel good about eating- each muffin has 95 calories, 4 carbs, 3 grams of fat, 10 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar! 

Turkey Veggie Meatloaf Muffins
  • 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 1/3 cup GF old fashioned oats
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1/2 small sweet or red onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 heaping cup organic baby bella mushrooms, diced
  • 1 medium zucchini, grated (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded (I forgot to put my carrot it :( )
  • 3 tablespoons egg white
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon organic minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • pinch ground black pepper
  • pinch garlic salt

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. I found it was easier to use my hands than to mix it with a fork or spoon. 

Once all the veggies, spices and turkey have been thoroughly combined divide the meat into 12 meatballs or muffins and place them in a nonstick muffin pan. You can also use muffin liners.

Bake the meatloaf muffins at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Slice into a muffin to check for doneness. It should be a golden brown and there should not be any pink. If they are not fully cooked bake for an additional 5 minutes and check again. 

With the meatloaf I made a giant batch of roasted vegetables and cauliflower "mashed potatoes." I will get those recipes up this week also.

Nutrition per serving (1 "muffin" equals 1 serving- makes 12 servings):
MACROS: 4C/3F/10P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 95
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g5 %
Saturated Fat 1 g5 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33 mg11 %
Sodium 43 mg2 %
Potassium 30 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g4 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 10 g20 %
Vitamin A2 %
Vitamin C18 %
Calcium2 %
Iron4 %



No comments:

Post a Comment