Monday, August 17, 2015

Meal Prep: Grilled Turkey Burgers


It's Monday, Monday, gotta get down on Monday...wait I don't think that's how the song goes. I have actually never heard the song, I've only heard other people singing it, but in any case Happy Monday! Good gravy can you believe it's already the middle of August?! What the heck happened to summer?! 

I am very sad to be going back to school so soon- I miss my friends, but I do NOT miss all the work. Besides I had the BEST internship ever this summer and I just wanted to stay and work at the station full time. 

In any case nothing says summer quite like a good burger and that's what we have here today my friends. A delicious, tender, and incredibly juice turkey burger that is packed with veggies and bursting with flavor. I love a good grilled turkey burger and this will most definitely be my go to from now on, plus you can add in any veggies or spices you want to make it your own. Summer grilling just got a whole lot healthier!

Grilled Turkey Burgers
  • 20 oz extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 zucchini, shredded
  • 1 yellow summer squash, shredded
  • 1 medium carrot or 1/3 cup baby carrots, shredded
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • minced garlic, to taste
  • pinch onion powder
  • red pepper flakes, to taste

In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey and veggies. You can use a fork or your hands to do it, I found using my hands to be the easiest to combine everything.

Add in the seasonings and stir to combine.

Using a kitchen scale weight out 4-5 ounces of meat, shape it into a patty and place it on a plate. 

Repeat until all meat is gone- I was able to get 8 patties out of the meat each patty weighing about 4.5-5 ounces. 

Heat up the grill and when the grill is warm place patties on the grill. I always place meat on tinfoil, spray the tinfoil with nonstick cook spray, and then put the meat on the tinfoil because then it won't stick to the grill. 

Grill each side for approximately 4 or 5 minutes. Every grill is different, but you want the meat to get browned. 

Check to see if the burgers are done by slicing into them and if the meat is dark brown and the juice is clear it is done. If the meat is still pink it needs more time. You can also use a meat thermometer and check the temperature of the meat, it should be between 165-170F degrees. 

Remove the burgers and serve with your favorite toppings! I had mine on a paleo bun with lettuce, avocado, tomato, and a bit of ketchup, but I also love loading it with veggies such as beets, bell peppers, and banana peppers. These burgers are so healthy you don't have to feel bad about going back for seconds...or thirds! 

If you make these delicious burgers or any of my other creations snap a picture and tag me on instagram and use the hashtag #thesimplelife so I can see your yummy creations! Enjoy and have a fantastic Monday! 

Nutrition per serving (for 1 burger):
MACROS: 2C/5F/14P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 115
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5 g8 %
Saturated Fat 2 g8 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 50 mg17 %
Sodium 54 mg2 %
Potassium 128 mg4 %
Total Carbohydrate 2 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g2 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 14 g27 %
Vitamin A3 %
Vitamin C15 %
Calcium2 %
Iron5 %

No comments:

Post a Comment