Monday, September 14, 2015

Meal Prep: Lemon Chicken Kabobs


Happy Monday!! Long time no see (or post?) I know. Between the first week of classes, labor day weekend, and another week of classes I have hardly had time to breathe. With it being my last semester of classes (YAY!!!) I have been extra busy and the homework has been piling up. Can we rewind to summer please? 

I'm hoping this week to start getting back into the swing of things with classes and posting. I have some recipes I'm really excited to share and a few reviews I'm also excited about. Now that that's out of the way lets get to the food!

Meal prep this semester is definitely going to be quick this semester with everything going on. This week I planned chicken kabobs because they're quick and easy to make, they're healthy, and I can dekabob (is that even a word?) them for the nights I'm on the go. Normally I'd add veggies to the kabobs, but this time I went for max flavor so I went with lemon between the chicken chunks. The lemon kept the chicken moist and gave it a delicious flavor. Between the lemon and the seasonings my tastebuds were very happy campers!

Chicken Kabobs
  • 1 lb. organic chicken, cut up into chunks
  • 2 lemons, sliced thin
  • oregano, to taste
  • crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • sesame seeds, to taste
  • 4-5 kabob sticks

Line a baking sheet with tin foil or a silicon baking sheet and spray with nonstick cook spray.

Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.

Wash the lemon and then thinly slice it. Stack the slices into a pile and set aside.

Cut the chicken in chunks or cubes and try to keep thickness of the meat relatively even. 

Once the chicken has been cut up begin to assemble the kabobs. Place 2 chunks of chicken on each skewer then place a lemon ring. Repeat until each skewer is assembled wit 6-8 pieces of meat. 

Line skewers on baking sheet. Before placing the kabobs in the oven sprinkle the seasonings over the meat. I used a relatively heavy hand with the seasonings, but feel free to use more or less to taste. I also a few left over chunks of lemon, with which I squeezed the juice over the meat.

Bake the kabobs at 375F degrees for 15 minutes- you can also grill the kabobs. Check to see if the meat is done by slicing into a few pieces of the chicken. If the juice runs clear it is ready.

I served the kabobs with mixed steamed veggies and fresh watermelon. 

Place any leftovers in a container or ziploc bag in the fridge for up to five days.

Nutrition (based on 4 kabobs):
MACROS: 4C/3F/34P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 167
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g4 %
Saturated Fat 0 g0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84 mg28 %
Sodium 98 mg4 %
Potassium 58 mg2 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g5 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 34 g68 %
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C40 %
Calcium4 %
Iron7 % 


No comments:

Post a Comment