Wednesday, January 6, 2016

30 Day Challenge


Fair warning: you're probably going to think I'm nuts, but I'm ok with that :) You know that little voice in your head that will tell you you need to do something? Sometimes I like to ignore that voice, but I've found that when ignored it only gets louder. 

Recently I have been feeling pushed to do a 30 day plant based diet. It's been in my head and on my heart for awhile now, but I had been ignoring it. I was out running errands yesterday and while listening to the radio station the DJ read a passage from Matthew chapter 6. 

"And when you fast, don't make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get. But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." Matthew 6:16-18

That passage hit me like a ton of bricks. Jesus doesn't say IF you fast, rather he says WHEN you fast. Fasting is something that is required of us in our Christian walk. I had always viewed fasting as centered on food, but it doesn't have to be about food at all. It can be anything that takes your focus off God- food, phones, social media, TV, etc. 

So how does all of this relate? I strongly believe I am being called to fast from my regular diet and focus on plant based foods for the next 30 days. This isn't saying that my current diet is bad, rather I think God has some lessons he wants me to learn throughout this time. After hearing that passage read yesterday I finally surrendered and said, "Ok, I'll do it." 

Starting next Monday, January 11, and for the next 30 days I will be eating a plant based diet. What does this mean? I won't be eating wheat, meat, dairy, or sugar (except naturally occurring ones found in fruits and veggies). I've been gluten free for a long time, so the whole bread thing doesn't bother me and artificial sugar makes me feel sick, but I am definitely going to miss eating salmon and having yougurt parfaits. The one thing I am allowing myself to have is egg whites and hard boiled eggs.

I picked the start date of next Monday because why not kick the week off on a good start, plus this gives me time to meal plan and go grocery shopping. To be honest I'm very curious how this is going to shake out. For one, I'm training for a half marathon and as I've been increasing my mileage I've been getting hungrier, so I'm worried about getting enough protein. And two, the unknown variable has me worried, but also curious. I'm excited to see how my body handles the challenge, but I know it's not going to be a walk in the park. I'm going to document the journey and share my meal prep, training progress, and any lessons I learn along the way (I'm sure there will be PLENTY!). 

Before I embark on this journey I want your help! I'm looking for a gluten and dairy free protein powder that doesn't taste horrible and is affordable! Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, I've already got my meals for next week planned out, but does anyone have any meal ideas? I'm definitely not afraid to try new things, but it does have to be gluten free. Any ideas/suggestions are much appreciated! I can't wait to start this journey and see what the Lord has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment