Monday, July 25, 2016

Super Easy S'more Brownies


Maybe I had a strange childhood but I didn't have my first s'more until I was a senior in high school. There were plenty of bonfires during the summer months, but my family just never made s'mores. Whenever I'd go to a friends house and they'd have a bonfire everyone would be roasting marshmallows, laughing and having a great time. I never partook in the s'more making simply because I'm not a sweets gal, but I loved spending time with my friends. Now when I think about s'mores I think about summer nights with my friends and it brings back fantastic memories.

This past weekend I had a few friends over, but it's been so hot (90F+) for a straight week with 100% humidity that bonfires have been banned for fear of starting a giant fire. Our conditions are nowhere near as dry as California, but it's better safe than sorry. What's a girl to do when her friends can't make s'mores because of the fire ban? She makes s'more brownies! 

S'more brownies are ridiculously easy to make. All you need is a box of brownie mix, marshmallows, chopped up chocolate and graham crackers. This recipe is very easily made allergy friendly simply by buying allergy friendly brownie mix, graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate. I've seen allergy friendly s'more products at Whole Foods and various other grocery and health food stores. Every single party and bonfire I've brought them too they've been a hit and there's been none leftover. You cannot go wrong with s'mores! 

S'more Brownies
  • 1 box high quality brownie mix (Ghirardelli, Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Fudge, etc.)
  • 1 cup marshmallows (size does not matter)
  • 4 graham cracker sheets, broken into chunks
  • 1  King sized chocolate bar, chopped into chunks or 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Spray a 9x9 pan with nonstick cook spray or coconut oil and preheat oven to temperature on brownie mix box.

Mix brownie batter according to package directions and pour into 9x9 pan.

Set pan in oven for 20 minutes.

While brownies are cooking break graham cracker sheets into small chunks. If using jumbo marshmallows, chop them in 1/2 as it will make baking easier. Chop chocolate bar into chunks.

In a bowl or ziplock bag combine graham cracker bits, chopped chocolate chunks, and marshmallows. Toss until everything is combine. 

After 20 minutes take pan out of oven, then brownies should be partly cooked, but still very doughy. 

Spread marshmallow, graham cracker and chocolate mix over top of brownie batter. Try to spread it in as even a layer as possible to make baking easier.

Put pan back in oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes insert a toothpick (try to avoid chocolate chunks) to check for doneness. If toothpick comes back clean the brownies are done, but if it's not clean the brownies are not done. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes. The brownies are done with the toothpick comes out clean and the marshmallows are golden brown. My brownies took a little over 40 minutes to bake, the additional toppings take longer for the batter to fully bake.

Allow brownies to cool before cutting, if you can't wait at least allow 15 minutes for cooling. I was able to get 16 brownies out of a 9x9 pan.

If you make these delicious brownies take a picture, tag me on instagram, and use the hashtag #thesimplelife I'd love to see your creations! Don't forget to like my new Facebook page



3 comments:

  1. Yum! My guys will love these. I'm thinking they will be great for fall to take the place of actual s'mores. We could do these for a camp party in the house! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great for indoor parties- I've taken them to a few indoor parties and people love them! They're s'mores but less messy so it's perfect for inside :)

      Delete
  2. Wow you definitely couldn't go wrong with these. I love that you bake for others Rachael even though you aren't a sweets person!

    ReplyDelete