Thursday, September 7, 2017

Fall Is In The Air: Thinking Out Loud #53

Happy Thursday! Sorry for the extreme lack of posting this past month, life has been super hectic trying to get everything ready for the move. It's crazy to be packing my life up (again), but I'm excited for this new adventure. At the same time there is some sadness because I am leaving behind friends and family. I have no doubt we will stay in touch, but being far away from loved ones is never easy. I'm excited for this next chapter and thankfully it's a bit easier to stay in touch with people nowadays. Anyway, it's fall even though it's felt like fall since mid August in the mitten and I'm trying to soak up my last Michigan fall before heading out west. Let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud!


1. Fall is definitely in the air here in the mitten. So many trees already have some or most of the leaves changing colors and the mornings are much cooler. I don't mind the cool, crisp fall mornings, but it makes me wish I could be running so I could make the most of the weather, especially before I start working the morning news shift. I'm trying to cram the most fall activities I can in before I leave and next on my must do list is a trip to the cider mill and apple orchard🍎


2. The cool mornings have lent themselves to some absolutely GORGEOUS sunrises. Some mornings are foggy and I love how the fog looks as the sun starts to rise. I'm always in awe of the beauty and majesty of a sunrise, I don't know how you can't stop and be amazed by creation. 


3. I have been soaking up all the time I can with Cora before I leave. I'm devastated I can't take her, but it wouldn't be fair to her to be stuck at home alone for 10+ hours at a time. She needs to be outside, running around playing, plus I don't want to take her away from her doggie best friends who live a few houses down. I don't know if Cora understands that something is happening, but a lot of times when I'm packing she will come and lay by me. I don't even want to think about the day I have to leave her, I know I'm going to cry like a baby😭


4. The fun part of this move is picking out a few things to decorate. I've never bothered to decorate before everything has been temporary and even though this is a two year contract before I move on to my next job I still want to put some effort in to make it actually feel like a home. HomeGoods and Target have been two of the big places I've hit up. I've also gotten a decent amount from Wayfair and Amazon. You don't have to have a huge budget to get things and I love being able to support brands that aren't at big box stores, but are still good quality. Once I get my apartment together I'll share some pictures.


5. Maybe I missed the memo or something but when the heck did vanilla extract get so expensive?! I was at Costco yesterday and a 16oz bottle of vanilla was marked as $26.99😱 I couldn't believe it was so expensive and neither could my mom who was shopping with me. I've bought vanilla from Costco dozens of times and never once paid that much. I'm hoping it was a pricing error because if not then I will definitely be buying vanilla extract elsewhere next time I need some.

6. I loved this quote because for me it brought to mind the people in my life who make my life so much better. I'm incredibly blessed to be surrounded with some very strong people who love fiercely. As my time in Michigan draws to a close I'm even more reminded of how many incredible people I have in my life. So many have taken time out of their busy schedule to hangout one last time, or grab food, or workout or whatever. Friends and family have gone out of their way to spend time with me and it really has blown my mind. I'm incredibly thankful to have the support group I do and I wish everyone else could be blessed with such a fantastic group of people. 

Have a terrific Thursday and a great weekend🎉🎉🎉

What is one thing you love about fall?
Have you ever moved? If so, what tips/tricks do you have to make the process easier?

2 comments:

  1. I knew vanilla was expensive, but I didn't think it was that expensive. And we did move about 7 years ago, but we only moved about 11 miles down the road from our old house, so I'm not sure I'd have good advice.

    I would be sooo sad to leave Cora, but I'm thankful that you are so mindful about what would be the easiest for her and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've moved loads (hey thanks military life!) and the one thing that I tried to do with my kids each time (that my parents never did for me each time we moved - yes, my dad was military, too) was look up where we were going and all of the really awesome things to do there. We'd break out the good old Rand McNally and pour over the map of where we were going and see what's close, what we were going to be near, etc. Then, Google is always helpful for "fun things to do" searches. We knew ahead of time where the libraries were, the museums, how far we had to go for a zoo, etc. It didn't necessarily take the sting away from leaving what we'd come to know and our friends behind, but telephones and computers make it easy to stay in touch and it helped to get them excited about what was waiting for us in our new location. And no, I'm not saying that you're a kid but these things helped ME too. I'm so sorry you can't take Cora. </3 That's definitely a hard one but you're doing the right thing for her in making sure that she's got the best for her.

    ReplyDelete