Monday, December 30, 2013

Fully Loaded Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore


Happy Crockpot Monday! It has been a few weeks since I've posted my usual weekly crockpot recipe because I have been home from college on break. Even though I am still on break this week I put a spin on one of my favorite crockpot recipes, chicken cacciatore, for an elderly couple my family is friends with.

If you have never had chicken cacciatore you're seriously missing out! Last fall I posted the recipe for a more traditional crockpot chicken cacciatore, but if you feel like being brave and spicing things up then try this version of fully loaded crockpot chicken cacciatore! There really are not many differences, mostly a few small tweaks but the flavoring is different than my traditional crockpot chicken cacciatore.

You will need:

  • 14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes, go organic if you can
  • 1/3 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
  • pack of 6 chicken breasts
  • 1 yellow, 1 red, and 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 2 packs, 8 ounces each, organic mini bella mushrooms, diced
  • pinch of sea salt
  • pinch of pepper
  • OPTIONAL: 1 diced green bell pepper for additional flavor

Pour chicken broth into crockpot. If you use a crockpot liner it does make clean up a TON easier. Crockpot liners can be found in most grocery stores, usually by the tinfoil and Ziploc bags.

Next, place chicken breasts in crockpot and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Then add in diced onion, then the diced bell peppers, and mushrooms.

Finally pour the can of petite diced tomatoes on top of all the vegetables. Do not worry it will sink down and flavor the chicken.

Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Make sure the chicken is fully cooked before serving. 

Serve over linguine noodles, mashed potatoes (I cannot personally vouch for this, one of my friends says it is delicious though), or spaghetti squash for a grain free alternative. 

*NOTE! I used 6 fairly large chicken breasts and because I broke the meat apart after it was fully cooked it makes more portions. There was enough food for seven servings, and because I served it over linguine noodles I was able to stretch the food even further and get eight servings for the elderly couple. The food can easily be reheated in the microwave, or even the oven, and will retain the same delicious flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment