Monday, May 5, 2014

Meaty Zucchini Boats


Happy Cinco De Mayo! The sun is shining and while it isn't warm it isn't raining so I won't complain. I think we could all use a little sun and warm weather after a brutal winter!

I have to apologize for slacking on the blog recently. I have a number of recipes to type up and post for you. This week I will posting my favorite chocolate dessert that's secretly healthy! 

One of the foods I made this weekend was meaty zucchini. I felt like having something like pasta/pizza. Instead of consuming a ton of carbs and unwanted gluten with pasta I used zucchini and ground turkey and the result was delicious! It's great for a meal and it can even be used for an appetizer for a crowd if you spoon it onto zucchini boats.

You will need:

  • 1 green and 1 yellow zucchini
  • 1.5 cups gluten free pasta sauce
  • 1/2 cup extra lean ground turkey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Slice the zucchini to the desired thickness and lightly spray with nonstick cook spray.

Line zucchini on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, flip all zucchini over and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

While the zucchini is in the oven spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium heat.

Once the skillet is heated brown the ground turkey and drain any excess liquid. 

After turkey is browned dump in the pasta sauce, cover the skillet and allow everything to simmer on a low heat for a few minutes. You don't want to dry anything out, but you want to warm the pasta sauce. 

When the zucchinis are done baking and the turkey sauce is warmed pour or spoon sauce over zucchinis. 

Top with grated mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment