Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Weekend

I definitely have some catching up to do. I took a break from the blog over the holiday weekend, but I have tons of photos and delicious food to share! 


Saturday morning my dad, one of my uncles and I made the trip to the small town of Corunna about an hour from my hometown. Every memorial day weekend we go up and plant flowers on families graves. 


At one of the cemeteries we plant flowers at there is this cool old mausoleum. It would be totally creepy to be around it at night. I'd love to know the history of the mausoleum, if walls could talk!


Before getting lunch we stopped by a roadside park next to a normally tame river. Due to all the snow and rain early in the season the river flooded and still hasn't receded. Some of the walkway was still underwater.


My dad stopped and got subway for lunch, I had packed my lunch the night before, and we decided to eat lunch at the local park. I used to run and play with my cousins at this park, so it makes me sad to see it in disrepair. The grass hadn't been mowed and the gazebo was missing a bunch of posts. I don't understand why people choose to destroy something that is used by so many people. 


It turned out to be a gorgeous day. When the day started I wasn't sure how to dress so I kept it simple with black leggings, a white t-shirt and a flag print scarf. I kept my hair up in a messy bun so the wind wouldn't be blowing it everywhere. 


There is a tiny historical village inside the park. The old school house and church are my favorite buildings in the historical park- if you are ever in the area you have to check it out.




After a busy morning and afternoon of planting flowers we drove back home, had a delicious meal and enjoyed the beautiful weather. 

I had a small salad made of 1.5 cups mixed greens, 3 large strawberries sliced, 1/4 cup fresh raspberries and one tablespoon sliced almonds. My mom also grilled a slice of Tilapia and I had half an ear of fresh corn. Nothing better than a hearty meal to refuel after a long day!

I will try to get another post from the weekend up tomorrow after work. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment