Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sweet Teriyaki Chicken and Veggies


I am all about easy, healthy dinners, especially when making dinner for a picky family. With my mom laid up from foot surgery I got to take over making dinner for the three of us. I've tried to add variety to my dad's typical meat and potatoes- he's the pickiest eater I've ever met (he doesn't like anything from the crockpot because "it's touching"). 

Adding variety while keeping it simple can be a challenge. I decided to make teriyaki chicken with vegetables because I think that's one meal that everyone can agree on. 


You will need:
  • 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup organic baby carrots, diced
  • 1/4 cup sweet onion
  • 1 cup carrots, diced
  • 3 chicken breasts

I sprayed a skillet with nonstick cook spray and heated it to a medium setting. Once the skillet was hot I tossed in 1 red and 1 green pepper, 1/4 cup diced sweet onion, and sliced and 1 cup of carrots diced. 

As the vegetables begin to lightly brown pour in less 3 tablespoons gluten free low sodium teriyaki sauce.

Once the vegetables turn a golden brown set the chicken breasts in the skillet. After setting the chicken in with the vegetables add in 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce.

Use a spatula and move the vegetables around and flip the chicken breasts. If you put the lid on the skillet it will help the chicken cook sooner. Be sure to stir often so all vegetables get covered in sauce.

Check the chicken breasts to make sure they are fully cooked. After they are fully cooked, remove from heat (be sure to turn heat off). 

If desired toss in an additional 1 1/2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and stir before serving. 

To make my dad happy I made him mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I had mine with a sweet potato and half a grapefruit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment