Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Catch Up: Weekend At Home Recap

I apologize for not posting anything recently. Classes have kept me beyond busy- I'm losing my marbles! I have six projects going on right now, multiple essays that need to be done and a statistics exam I need to study for. Needless to say I am a little stressed! 

Two weekends ago I was finally able to go home. My mom had recently had foot surgery so she had to sit with her foot up and my dad can't cook so he was starting to lose it- my mom suffered the consequences of his lack of culinary abilities. It was a good weekend to go home because some of my professor were giving students a "fall breather" so they weren't assigning homework to give us a bit of a break. We go from August to Thanksgiving without a break so it's a bit stressful. It was nice to be able to go home and relax and totally forget about school for a bit. 

The drive home was gorgeous. Fall colors were at their peak and the sun was shining making the trees look even prettier. Sadly I know winter is coming so I gladly soaked in the warm weather and blue skies.

Before I even went home I already had developed a plan of attack. I knew what I was going to cook every night, so I made out a grocery list ahead of time taking the stress off of trying to come up with something to cook for dinner in the morning. My dad is not an easy person to cook for, no joke he is the pickiest eater I have ever met. I made two of his favorites, pineapple chicken skewers with a giant batch of roasted vegetables for my mom and I, and before I left on Monday I started the crockpot for crockpot pineapple chicken for them. I also forced my dad to try something new, a crockpot balsamic pork roast. Everyone loved it. It was so tender it literally fell apart in the crockpot. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of it before it was eaten (men are impatient when they're hungry!), but I am definitely going to make it again soon then I will post the recipe. 

After I went to the gym at home on Friday and before m doctors appointment I threw together a parfait of sorts. I knew the doctor appointment was going to take awhile and I didn't want to be starving while I waited. In a bowl I threw together:
  • 1/2 cup Dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
  • 1 teaspoon raisins
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter chips
  • 1/2 teaspoon chocolate chips
  • 1/2 small Honeycrisp apple, cut into chunks
It was perfect for fall and provided enough protein to help hold me over. I have a ton more pictures to post and recipes from my weekend at home, but I have to go to class (and take a quiz, yuck!). I will try to post them as soon as I can. Have a terrific Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment