Monday, October 13, 2014

Crockpot Chicken and Quinoa Soup


Some people think I am crazy, but I am telling you my crockpot has been my lifeline these past few weeks. I have hardly had time to breathe, let alone cook. My freezer is so full of crockpot leftovers I could survive the apocalypse. Well, maybe not, but my freezer is really full of yummy leftovers. 

I have never really been one for soup, but that is all changing. The weather has been really cold lightly and nothing has been better than curling up with a smoking hot bowl of soup. I was not sure how this soup was going to turn out because I literally threw a bunch of things I already had on hand into my crockpot and hoped for the best. It did not disappoint!

Ingredients:
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, I used two chicken breasts and I had a decent amount of leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken that I threw in as well
  • 2 sweet potatoes, regular potatoes would work too, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1 pound, 16 ounces, frozen peas
  • 1/2 pound fresh trimmed green beans, can use frozen too
  • 14.5 ounce can organic petite diced tomatoes
  • 5.45 ounce package Mediterranean Quinoa Mix or 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chili seasoning, you can use more I just didn't want my soup to be real spicy
  • 5 cups organic low sodium chicken broth

Place chicken breasts on the bottom of a lined crockpot.

Dump the quinoa over the chicken breasts.

Add in diced sweet potatoes, onion, green beans, peas and petite diced tomatoes.

Next, add in mixed garlic, pepper and chili seasoning.

Finally, pour in chicken broth. 

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Before serving use a fork or a serving spoon to break apart chicken into chunks. You can cut it apart before hand, but I think it's easier to do it after because the chicken is so tender.

Also, be sure to stir everything together before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment