Monday, January 19, 2015

Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup


Good gravy is it Monday already? What happened to the weekend? This weekend was not one of my favorites, despite having a long weekend because of MLK Day. Saturday morning at 6 am I was at the ER, which was surprisingly empty. I had the entire place to myself, so if you injure yourself try to do it early in the morning service is much prompter when no one is there. 

Since I have been sick food has had no appeal to me. I've basically lived off egg and pepper scramble and gluten free strawberry and blueberry muffins for the past number of days. My mom being the awesome mother she is made me a giant pot of her famous chicken noodle soup to take back to school. Despite just laying around the house all weekend and sleeping I still don't feel 100% and I definitely do not feel like cooking, so I will be having my mom's yummy chicken noodle soup for dinner this week. She was even awesome enough to write down the recipe for me to share! It's very basic, but it is significantly healthier than any canned soup, you can throw in basically anything you want and somehow it always tastes better when my mom makes it :)

Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup
  • 4 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 or 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 2 cups uncooked (GF) noodles
  • OPTIONAL: 1 cup sliced celery 

In a large pot heat broth, carrots and raw chicken (and celery if including) to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.

In a separate pot cook noodles according to package instructions. 

Cut up chicken and return it to pot with broth and carrots.

When noodles are done cooking drain water.

Add drained noodles to pot with cut up chicken, carrots and broth. Simmer until warm. 

I topped mine with a pinch of basil and garlic salt. Add in whatever seasonings you like, but plain chicken noodle soup is great for an upset stomach. 

MACROS: 22C/2F/17P
Nutrition Info (1 serving= 1 cup):
Calories: 173
Carbs: 22 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Sodium: 343 mg
Sugar: 3 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment