Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Quick, Easy and Healthy Dinner


I am finally starting to feel better, but I am still taking it easy on my body. I did a light workout this morning- mostly cardio and ab work. Sadly I still get tired easily and out of breath quickly, but it felt good to be back at the gym doing something. I can't wait to start lifting again. For dinner this week I have been enjoying my mom's delicious chicken noodle soup, but I wanted to share a yummy dinner from last week. 

Dinner time is a relative term for me because I have late classes some nights, so I don't get dinner until late. On those nights when I don't have any crockpot leftovers to heat up or I feel like having something different I want to have something that will cook quickly. My go to is salmon, veggie/potato mix and salad.


I am a salmon addict! It's ok though because it is so good for you. Full of protein, good fatty acids and omega 3's. Typically I will lightly brush a 4oz salmon fillet with olive oil and sprinkle on seafood seasoning- I like Costco's seafood seasoning (yes it is GF, but always check labels). Bake at 400 for 20 minutes and check. The inside should be a light pink and the salmon should flake apart easily, that's how you know it's done.


The mixed veggies and sliced potatoes are my secret weapon. Ok, not really but when I don't have any roasted vegetables on hand meijer has a great mix of frozen veggies and potato slices that is not in any sauce. The mix has red and yellow bell peppers, onion, zucchini, summer squash and sliced potatoes. It's an easy mix to make at home, but the frozen version is great for busy nights. Just microwave according to instructions and BAM done. 



No meal (minus breakfast) is ever complete without a salad. I almost always have a big salad mix that I have created in the fridge, which is great for grab and go meals. This salad is about 1.5 cups spring mix lettuce, 3 cherry tomatoes sliced, 1 slice red onion, 1 teaspoon feta cheese and 1 tablespoon slivered almonds. 

Including oven preheating and cook time dinner was ready in less than 30 minutes. This would be an easy meal to double or triple the amount of salmon cooked to serve more people and you can even double or triple the salad size while the salmon cooks without adding more time on to make the meal. Don't say you don't have time to eat healthy, cut 30 minutes out of TV watching or internet surfing to make a healthy meal. Eating healthy is not rocket science and not crazily time consuming, I promise you CAN do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment