Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Exam Cram

Exam week is stressful. I think it's crazy that exams are even a thing. Staying up way too late to cram a bunch of knowledge into your head so you can be tested on things that you've already been tested on just to demonstrate that you still know that one random fact from way back in January, yeah thats crazy. This is precisely why I'm not in charge though because I would get rid of exams.

I'll get off my soap box now though. I had two exams back to back Monday. Four solid hours of exams is not my idea of a fun time, but at least I got the two worst exams out of the way. My exams ran from 10:00am-2:00pm with a ten minute break between exams. Lunch time was of course in the middle and to be frank campus food sucks. I wasn't even going to bother so I packed some overnight oats that would hold me until I was done and able to make a real lunch. 


Of course all my glass jars were at home (I bake my mom apple chips when I go home and take them in glass jars). So I got creative and grabbed an almost empty peanut butter jar. The layers are:
  • 1/2 cup Dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt
  • 3 strawberries, sliced
  • 1/8 cup blueberries
  • 1/3 cup gluten free oats
  • 3 strawberries, sliced
  • 1/8 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • and a dollop of peanut butter for good measure

Luckily I finished my first exam early so I had a decent amount of time between exams to review material and eat my oats. But let me tell you I got some really strange looks when I whipped out a peanut butter jar from my backpack- it was rather hilarious. I used a cold pack to keep the oats cold and packed a spoon (obviously I didn't want to eat it with my fingers). The oats gave me the energy boost I needed and held me over until I was done with my exams. 


When I was done with my exams I went back and made one of my new favorite lunches. It's really simple, but really yummy. It's a portobello mushroom veggie burger. The bottom is a roasted portobello mushroom stacked with a mix of kale, spinach, and spring lettuce, a gluten free veggie burger (not the ones I made), and topped with sliced on the vine tomato. 

To roast the mushroom heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet or pan with tinfoil- the mushroom will drip a LOT so you most definitely want to line the pan.

Roast the mushroom at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. 

I used a gluten free veggie patty that I found in the freezer section of the grocery store. Again, I'm trying to use up all the remaining food in my fridge/freezer so nothing goes to waste. I microwaved it according to the directions then placed it on the portobello mushroom that I topped with lettuce and put the tomato on top. 


It may sound/look weird but I promise it's so good! Not to mentions there are a ton of veggies in this one meal- gotta get those 5 daily servings in! 

Thankfully I only have one exam left! My one professor gave us a take home exam and I don't have an exam for my internship. So I just gotta push through one exam and then I'm officially free! Have a great day and good luck on exams to everyone taking them!

No comments:

Post a Comment