Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Meal Prep: Quinoa Veggie Burgers


Happy Monday! What an absolutely gorgeous weekend! It was in the mid/upper 70's- that's right I'm talking 70! Even though exams are this week it was too nice to not be outside so I grabbed a friend and we went for a long walk Saturday afternoon. Too bad the warm weather wasn't here to stay.

Full disclosure I made these veggie burgers yesterday. I have two exams back to back today and did not want to have come back and worry about making dinner. So I guess it's technically it's Sunday meal prep, but that just doesn't have the same ring to it...I hope you can forgive me.

Anyway these "burgers" totally rock! I have been focusing on eat a lot more plant based protein. I haven't totally given up meat, but since I have recently switched to much more plant based diet my body has felt amazing! I feel full much longer and I haven't had the energy crashes, which is especially amazing considering my lupus. But these burgers are really good and I'm super excited to use the leftovers in multiple different ways. I paired the burger with roasted green beans and beet blend of vegetables- I will get that recipe up this week as well. 

Quinoa Veggie Burger
  • 1/2 cup dry, uncooked quinoa- I used Trader Joe's tricolored quinoa
  • 1 cup grated baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 cup grated carrot 
  • 1 cup grated zucchini
  • 1/2 small red onion, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch 
  • pinch of pepper
  • pinch of red pepper flakes

Combine grated mushrooms, carrot, zucchini, minced garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside. I cooked the quinoa in organic low sodium chicken broth to give it a bit more flavor. 

Spray a large skillet with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium.

When skillet is warm add in one teaspoon vegetable oil and allow it to heat for a minute. 

Then add in the mixed vegetables. Allow the vegetables to cook until the are tender, between 5-10 minutes. Stir and flip every so often so vegetables don't burn on one side.

When the vegetables are tender remove from heat and combine them in a large mixing bowl with the quinoa. 

Once the quinoa and vegetables have been combined add in the cornstarch and egg, then mix well.

Once again spray the same skillet used to cook the vegetables with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium. 

When the skillet is warmed scoop 1/2 cup of vegetable/quinoa mixed into the pan. Use a fork to firmly press the vegetables/quinoa into the measuring cup so the ingredients hold together. You should be able to cook two quinoa-veggie patties at a time. 

Allow the patties to cook for 3-4 minutes per side, but check to ensure they don't burn. Use a spatula to carefully flip the patty. 

Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Watch the patties more closely after the first 3 or 4 are done. The rest may need less time as the pan is fully heated up (and no one wants torched veggie burgers).

I was able to make eight 1/2 cup veggie patties. 

Serve on a bun like a burger, use it in a salad, or eat it alone! I topped my burger with a dab of organic no sugar added ketchup- these burgers are making me hungry for some summer BBQ!

Nutrition per serving (based on eight 1/2 cup servings):
MACROS: 21C/2F/4P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 117
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2 g4 %
Saturated Fat 0 g1 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23 mg8 %
Sodium 20 mg1 %
Potassium 280 mg8 %
Total Carbohydrate 21 g7 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g9 %
Sugars 3 g
Protein 4 g9 %
Vitamin A34 %
Vitamin C7 %
Calcium2 %
Iron7 %


No comments:

Post a Comment