Monday, November 16, 2015

Crockpot Pumpkin Chili (Low Carb)


Monday morning we meet again. I had the rare opportunity to have a social life this weekend- crazy I know. In my news reporting class we were given an extra week to work on our last package so I got to have a weekend to unwind and hangout with friends. 

With graduation fast approaching (AHH!!!) I have a few events coming up, including graduation, that I need to dress up for. Saturday morning I headed out to the mall with some friends to look for dresses. I left the mall cranky and without any dresses. Everything has sequins, which don't get me wrong I love glitter and sequins, but an all sequin super short dress is not exactly appropriate for college graduation. My commencement robe (is there a technical name for that?) is navy blue and ideally I'd like a white or off-white dress for it. If anyone has any suggestions of places to check out PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Anyway, on to the food. It's been fairly warm recently and I am LOVING it! I will soak up all this sunshine because I know it won't last (sadly). Later this week it's supposed to turn cold and rainy and that made me crave some chili. Since it's so close to Thanksgiving I wanted to put a Thanksgiving-y spin on the chili, so I made pumpkin chili! I know I'm on a pumpkin kick (see pumpkin waffle), but this chili is so good! The pumpkin is not overpowering and the combo of flavors is actually very, very tasty.

Crockpot Pumpkin Chili
  • 16 oz lean ground turkey
  • 29 oz organic pumpkin puree 
  • 14.5 oz organic diced tomatoes with green chilies 
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • OPTIONAL: pinch pumpkin pie seasoning

Line a crockpot with a slow cooker liner.

Place diced onion and red bell pepper at bottom of crockpot.

Place ground turkey on top of onion and bell pepper in crockpot.

Dump pumpkin puree and diced tomatoes on top of ground turkey.

Finally, add in the spices- chili powder, minced garlic, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice.

Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

Halfway through cooking (or before serving) uncover the crockpot and stir everything together. Add in more chili powder if desired. 

Cover crockpot and continue cooking for the remaining time. 

Stir chili again before serving. Serve chili with gluten free cornbread. 

Nutrition per serving (based on 7 servings of 1 cup):
MACROS: 14C/5F/15P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 7.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 157
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5 g8 %
Saturated Fat 1 g7 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46 mg15 %
Sodium 274 mg11 %
Potassium 68 mg2 %
Total Carbohydrate 14 g5 %
Dietary Fiber 5 g19 %
Sugars 6 g
Protein 15 g30 %
Vitamin A22 %
Vitamin C34 %
Calcium4 %
Iron8 %

No comments:

Post a Comment